Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: korean food

I ate most of this stuff on a semi-regular basis in Japan. This thread is awesome because I never knew the real names. Kimchi can be eaten with practically any meat product and is far more tasty than it appears. The problem I always had was getting kimchi products at bars, the [censored] just killed my stomach when combined with beer. I had no idea that kalbi (called karubi in Japanese, lol), was a Korean meat. The whole "grill at the table" thing was really big there, I see it actually came from Korea as I recognize all of those meats. At an actual Korean place the pancake type things were my favorite as they tended to be safe.
Foreign food in Japan tends to be really bad - you have to go to either expensive places or places that cater to expats to get anything that isn't watered down for the Japanese palate.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 AM

Anyone know what the rock hen stuffed with glutinous rice and cooked in ginseng soup is called?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:03 AM

Just had a spicy cod and monkfish spicy seafood soup at O-dae san on Olympic in LA. Plus a few pieces of sushi. A tasty din-din; if you only do korean bbq you're missing out a lot in this cuisine.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know what the rock hen stuffed with glutinous rice and cooked in ginseng soup is called?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same as this?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Another dish I love is called tang-su-yuk. It's the Korean version of sweet and sour chicken. Bad places will make it too sweet, oversauced, with overcooked chicken. Good ones will have a lightly sweet sauce over tender chicken.

Man, I want some now.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 PM

Call me uncultured, but this doesn't look remotely Korean... but then again, I'm guessing that my exposure to Korean food is all kind of "country".
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM

There is one meat missing from these threads.

It's called chadohlbagie. The ONLY place I've had it where it is good is at Shilla on 32nd in NYC. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM

DDUK BO KKI FOR THE MOTHER EFFING WIN

Cylindrical-shaped rice cake (dduk), preferably with odeng (fish cake), all slathered in a spicy, slightly sweet chili sauce. This is your standard vendor food if you're in Korea. It's cheap, it's ghetto, it's awesome.

Edit: Spanaway Vin, ttang su yook (sweet and sour chicken) is another one of those Korean/Chinese foods. The only place you'll find it made like that is at a Korean-owned Chinese place, along with jja-jjang myun (noodles in black bean sauce) and jjam-ppong (spicy seafood noodle soup).
Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cylindrical-shaped rice cake (dduk), preferably with odeng (fish cake), all slathered in a spicy, slightly sweet chili sauce. This is your standard vendor food if you're in Korea. It's cheap, it's ghetto, it's awesome.

Edit: Spanaway Vin, ttang su yook (sweet and sour chicken) is another one of those Korean/Chinese foods. The only place you'll find it made like that is at a Korean-owned Chinese place, along with jja-jjang myun (noodles in black bean sauce) and jjam-ppong (spicy seafood noodle soup).

[/ QUOTE ]

In college I would go to the local Korean drinking hole to split a dduk bok ki and tong dalk(whole fried small chicken) with my friend over some beers. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] that awesome combo. Prince on Catalina and 7th has good tong dalk and has a Regal Beagle feel.

DN
Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dduk-book-gi is awesome comfort food. You probably won't see it on a menu, but I love it when my mom makes it. And if you're ever in Korea, you can get this on the street - it'll be cheap and awesome.