Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: 100 FO - Pretty Basic Spot That Confuses Me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If any program says it's very slightly +EV to push, that probably means it's -EV due to the small chance of being called in two places (and going against AK and 99 etc). Also the edge has to be more than really tiny for me to want to open push here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of that. Pls post more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's really only relevant when some program says that something is very slightly +EV, and there are a reasonable number of opponents behind you (usually at least 3 or 4), and you have a hand that's very vulnerable to multiple callers like 33. Of course there is also the chance of being called by AK in two spots, but overall multiple calls should reduce your EV a tiny bit, enough so that you can probably fold to some computer generated very slight +EV spot, in which the program only calculates up to one caller.

With hands like AK multiple calls maybe even help you, as you'd rather be up against QQ and JJ than just QQ. Of course I'm just guessing this.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:30 PM

i suppose i retract my previous statements. it still just seems soo weak to open fold a pair from the hijack.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i suppose i retract my previous statements. it still just seems soo weak to open fold a pair from the hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small pairs play best when you are relatively deep or very short. They play badly when you are medium stacked.

- Of course if you were on the button you shouldn't be folding, I'm just saying it's good to either be short enough to go allin or to be deep enough so that you have good set value postflop.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If any program says it's very slightly +EV to push, that probably means it's -EV due to the small chance of being called in two places (and going against AK and 99 etc). Also the edge has to be more than really tiny for me to want to open push here.

[/ QUOTE ]

if we have 33 and are getting called by 99, we should welcome AK coming along as well.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM

i flat call for set value
Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if we have 33 and are getting called by 99, we should welcome AK coming along as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but the reverse is a much bigger disaster. For instance if we are up against AK its a huge disaster if TT comes along. However if we are up against TT, it's only a small victory to have AK come along.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:02 PM

Also shoving here will rarely be unexploitable because guys can call with stuff like T9s.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also shoving here will rarely be unexploitable because guys can call with stuff like T9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

being called by T9s doesn't really affect us much.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what does the fact that you "have a pair" really matter? Your perception of hand strength appears to be warped djk.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but the reverse is a much bigger disaster. For instance if we are up against AK its a huge disaster if TT comes along. However if we are up against TT, it's only a small victory to have AK come along.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think the way you are thinking about this is correct. but i don't want to get into it now, so agree to disagree i guess.