Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Buying a bicycle

I'll just echo what OTB already said, just get a helmet that fits properly and that you find comfortable. No need to spend any money on something expensive. I have a $150 helmet and it isnt going to protect my head any better than a $40 helemt, they are all rated to the same standard. I recommend Giro but really it doesnt much matter, just so long as its fitted correctly.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna add my question on to this thread:

I need a city bike. I will use it for getting around Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, which is relatively flat. 1 gear might even be enough for me, and I know I don't need 20 or whatever. I'll be using it to commute to work. I live in a high bike theft area, so I don't want anything too expensive and preferably a bike that has fewer removable components that can be ripped off. I'd like to spend under $300 if possible, I don't mind buying something used.

any ideas for the style I should get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just look around for a used mountain bike. You wont ever use 27 gears but trust me, you'll be glad you have more than just one. You can get a decent used mountain bike for under $300. Make sure and budget in money you will want to spend on slime tubes, tire liners, a pump of some sort and a seat bag to carry a patch kit and a couple tools in, and a lock. A used bike may even come with some of those things, if not all can be had new for ~$80 if you shop smart

[/ QUOTE ]

what about a cruiser bike, something like the one below. I did the idea of "up high" handlebars, probably more comfortable than leaning down low on a mountain bike?

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is your commute?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:14 PM

http://www.performancebike.com./shop...estore_ID=1108

or

http://www.performancebike.com./shop...estore_ID=1108

free shipping from that site...any good?

costs as much as my bike [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM

3 miles
Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 PM

3 flat miles will be fine for a cruiser. The down side to those cruisers is they weigh a ton so hills will suck on the up. A more upright poster is generally more comfortable, especially if you aren't going to be putting in a ton of hours on the bike.

As far as helmets go, find something that is comfortable to wear they all have to pass the same standards. If you get hooked and start riding a lot then you can worry about the expensive ones with better air flow. You might also look into the different hydration systems available, I'm much happier with my Camelbaks than in reaching down to the bottle cage on my down tube, but I didn't spend much time without one to get good at getting the bottle while peddling. If you are a numbers guy you might think about getting a cycling computer for the bike to keep track of milage and cadence and what not. If you are going to do this for fitness or get serious about training look into getting a heart rate monitor.

You should also get some bike shorts with the chamios, they are much more comfortable than plain old shorts. If you get them don't wear underwear with them.