Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great call on Dismemberment Plan, as I mentioned in the Of Montreal thread E6 bands are the shizzle.

I'm on a big ambient kick lately so I will throw out a few names: Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Rios, Bell Orchestre (Arcade Fire sister band), and my favorite:

Godspeed You Black Emperor. Amazing orchestral rock that gives me the chills everytime I listen to it. Moya

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw some Dirty Three on top of that. Start with Horse Stories and move forward chronoligically. The stuff before Horse Stories is also excellent but less ambient.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally was a left little disappointed by their latest effort Cinder, but I second the recommendation of Horse Stories - but lordy it is depressing. I haven't heard any other Dirty Three but I did see them live ages ago and that was a great gig.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend these guys all the time because they're the only indie band I listen to that nobody has heard of. Maybe this thread will get them some love.

www.myspace.com/rooftopsuicideclub

www.rooftopsuicideclub.com used to work too, not sure why it's not now...

more tunes at http://www.rhapsody.com/rooftopsuicideclub

Anyway, really catchy stuff - very melodic and lots of sweet harmonies. Check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Straight up, given what happened to me some time ago (and some of the posts people were making about it in BBV) I thought the first time you posted this link for me was a sick joke. Then I found out they're a real band! And they cite a lot of influences I like (Big Star and Wilco most notably).

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, that's funny because they have a disclaimer on the cd "rooftop suicide club is not a real club, it's a band. please don't kill yourself" or something like that.

*edit* i'm not familiar with what happened to you some time ago, did you fall off a roof or something?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the bands that I was recently introduced to and love is Akron/Family. They came out with a new album called Meek Warrior but I haven't heard it. The album I love is self-titled. Akron/Family: Akron/Family

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm slowly going through this thread and it is awesome! Yes Akron/Family is probably my favorite album of 2005 - well, it's up there anyway. Meek Warrior is not as good as the debut but it has its moments - especially the first track. I would also like to hear their collaboration with Angels of Light.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The new Explosions in the Sky album, "All of a Sudden I Miss Everybody" (or something like that), is quite good. They're the band that did the Friday Night Lights movie soundtrack, and their music is in just about every episode of the TV show.

[/ QUOTE ]

For fans of EITS, did you know you can download the entire album The Rescue (not available in stores) from their website? I'd provide a link but the site is unavailable to me right now for some reason. But it's easy to find.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I recommend these guys all the time because they're the only indie band I listen to that nobody has heard of. Maybe this thread will get them some love.

www.myspace.com/rooftopsuicideclub

www.rooftopsuicideclub.com used to work too, not sure why it's not now...

more tunes at http://www.rhapsody.com/rooftopsuicideclub

Anyway, really catchy stuff - very melodic and lots of sweet harmonies. Check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Straight up, given what happened to me some time ago (and some of the posts people were making about it in BBV) I thought the first time you posted this link for me was a sick joke. Then I found out they're a real band! And they cite a lot of influences I like (Big Star and Wilco most notably).

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, that's funny because they have a disclaimer on the cd "rooftop suicide club is not a real club, it's a band. please don't kill yourself" or something like that.

*edit* i'm not familiar with what happened to you some time ago, did you fall off a roof or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 AM

The Microphones

I purchased The Glow Pt.2 on a whim based on a Pitchfork review. I hate the pretentiousness of some of their reviewers but whatever - they can deliver the occasional gem and this is one. I now have everything and it's all recommended (bar Live in Japan). The Glow Pt.2 though remains my favorite along with It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water.

I don't know how to describe their music... the new slacker pop? They always get an album listen rather than a iPod shuffle which I guess is how I listen to most music these days. Some songs are available on MySpace though so check it out.

I got a couple of other recommendations - different kind of genres - but I'll save them for now.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Nath, I think posting some of the recent mixes would be better for this thread, as I think that would include more artists. Then, based on the tracks you list, others can expand a particular bands playlist on their own. Of course, just listing a bunch of bands would work too. I'm a sucker for new bands to listen to.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I purchased The Glow Pt.2 on a whim based on a Pitchfork review. I hate the pretentiousness of some of their reviewers but whatever - they can deliver the occasional gem and this is one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's my take on Pitchfork: The reviews aren't always accurate-- they miss some good albums sometimes, for dumb reasons-- but if they say an album is very good, it never fails. That said, most of the writing on the site is completely insufferable.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Another band I like a lot that I think fits in the indie category is State Radio - they have the best rock/reggae sound going, IMO. They have the heavy political undertones a la Rage Against The Machine, but the music is much less agressive for the most part. It's actually Chad Stokes' (from Dispatch) new band.

www.stateradio.com
Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM

nath,

"Here's my take on Pitchfork: The reviews aren't always accurate-- they miss some good albums sometimes, for dumb reasons-- but if they say an album is very good, it never fails. That said, most of the writing on the site is completely insufferable."

Word. There are so many times I have read a review of theirs in which they bashed an album and came away thinking the album could still possibly be great but their percentage of great reviews to great albums is damn high.

Now what does make me laugh is when they give a 9.9, wtf. It must have been a misused snare on track 6 to deduct .1 obviously!
Closed Thread