Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Stars account hacked

Take his laptop and tell everybody he is a theif. Then, it is even.

Just go to his house and take that [censored]. Tell him its either that or police come into play (stars is willing to back you up etc, they are really cracking down on this stuff these days).
Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance the hand history files are still on his pc?

[/ QUOTE ]

the chance that his criminal friend will let him use his computer again are really small, if any. maybe if the op lies and pretend stars gave his money back and everything is fine just so he can keep the friendship to investigate this a bit more. I say you have all rights in the world to lie to this thief. you will need to bluff him well cuz I bet he will be paranoid about you using his computer and will make up some bullshyt reason that its broken or something
Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance the hand history files are still on his pc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Already thought about this. They probably are, but I doubt I will be allowed access to his pc.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your friend is trash, this is him 100%. You go to his house, and your account is robbed from his computer 12 hours later???? There is absolutely no way it was anyone but him. I would get really serious with the guy really quick. Get some evidence and confront him, if he continues to deny it get him arrested or something. A couple nights in jail could change his mind, as well as you telling everyone he is a dirty theif. Getting ostersized mught punish him some too. I don't see how your getting the cash back though, if he is degen enough to steal from you (BTW it really doesn't seem like your friend respects you at all if he does this and then straight up lies) then he prob doesn't have 6700$ to pay you back. And that is prob too little to get a a lawyer.

Gl

[/ QUOTE ]

His parents I believe do have that kind of money, but I doubt anything will come of that.

He's obviously not going to come out and say 'It was me, let me pay you back $6700'
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

Put this http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

in one of these

and whenever you want to log on to your poker site just plug that into your computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use one of these & I'm not very tech savvy, but I think keylogging software will still record passwords as you copy the information from the KeyPass to the login screen.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 AM

A typical keylogger will not. However, an advanced rootkit is probably able to retrieve the password. Even if the password is encrypted on the USB stick with passwordsafe (or anything else), it must be decrypted in RAM to be entered into the poker client.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 AM

Is the dude smart or dumb, sociopath or not?

I like the idea of screwing with him for awhile. Tell him Pokerstars is taking this seriously, as this has happened to a few people this week, and they want to send a computer forensic expert to his house to check out the computer and figure out how it was hacked. They just need him to send a signed (what the hell, add notarized if you want) letter letting them do that.

Put the pressure on him, see if he cracks. If he does, than it is in your hands...thats some mighty big, planned out, thieving by him.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

in one of these

and whenever you want to log on to your poker site just plug that into your computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use one of these & I'm not very tech savvy, but I think keylogging software will still record passwords as you copy the information from the KeyPass to the login screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS TRUE, WILL NOT STOP KEYLOGGERS
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone,

in one of these

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

THIS IS TRUE, WILL NOT STOP KEYLOGGERS

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like it won't stop it if you use Autotype in general, but copy&paste will work:

http://keepass.info/help/base/faq_tech.html#autotypelog

[ QUOTE ]
No. The Auto-Type feature has been designed in a way that it's impossible for target applications to distinguish real keys from auto-typed ones. This on the one hand has the advantage that the feature is really compatible with all applications out there. On the other hand, the auto-typed keys can of course be logged by keyloggers. If you worry about keyloggers, you have to use one of the other methods (drag&drop, copying to clipboard, KeeForm, browser integration toolbar, ...).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM

The clipboard is being monitored by most decent keyloggers/rootkits. Also, at one point you will have the password in cleartext in the RAM of the machine, no way around it. Therefore you should never log into your poker account on any untrusted computer.