Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

[ QUOTE ]
Christians are not evil foal...They were the first to bring organized charity to the world...

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/cooray/btof/chap242.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea why you think foal said christians are evil. He was the most supportive non-Christian to your argument to post.???
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christians are not evil foal...They were the first to bring organized charity to the world...

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/cooray/btof/chap242.htm

[/ QUOTE ]
And this one isolated article is your evidence? It doesn't even say that!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Dear tpir,

It says this:

Charity was a part of western civilisation long before it was nationalised. Charity has been a virtue recognised and fostered by religion throughout human history. Christian charity has been an integral part of European civilization. In medieval Europe the Church bore the responsibility for organising and promoting poor relief and it was not until the 16th century that the state began to take over this responsibility...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quite honestly Sephus...I may have misinterpreted something said...Some of the responses on here are so curt, cryptic and poorly phrased I don't always get your full meaning...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really very easy to understand. Most of us agree with you that the flesh-and-blood person Jesus existed (Count me in. That's 3!) We just don't buy the mythologized version of him that was born out of having Biblical events assigned to him.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear tpir,

It says this:

Charity was a part of western civilisation long before it was nationalised. Charity has been a virtue recognised and fostered by religion throughout human history. Christian charity has been an integral part of European civilization. In medieval Europe the Church bore the responsibility for organising and promoting poor relief and it was not until the 16th century that the state began to take over this responsibility...

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if this passage did say that Christianity brought "organized charity to the entire world" your assertion that Christians aren't evil does not follow. Again, critical thinking would come in handy here.

Also, it doesn't say that.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And therefore had an influence on India's independence and on the U.S. civil rights movement...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait wait wait a minute. Are you telling me, that JC has had a lot of influence on today's society? Get out of here. Yoo crayzee.

He's obviously the most second influential fictional character of all time. God (or should I say "The God's?) is (are?) number 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't JC be a subset of "The Gods"?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:36 PM

I can answer from personal experience here tpir...I don't need critical thinking...I have known a lot of people and very few of them were evil...I've lived and worked on 3 continents and most of the evil people are the ones media/history portrays...Like Hitler...I never knew him but it seems he was evil...Most of the Christians I've known have been good people...some were exceptionally good...and I'll bet the "evil" ones you know are the extremists and you know them from the media...Well they're plenty of non-Christian crazies too...the Unabomber was one...You only have to turn on the tv or pick up a newpaper to see them...How about that lady NASA astronaut....Don't stereotype Christians as evil...its just not true....
Old 09-20-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't stereotype Christians as evil...its just not true....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to try and catch this before it snowballs into unhelpful discussion as opposed to insightful debate....

I don't believe anyone actually said 'christians are evil.' Nor do I THINK anyone believes it.

I think someone may have misinturperated someone else and a side track of inflamation has started.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can answer from personal experience here tpir...I don't need critical thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't get it. Your personal experience is neither relevant nor convincing. People are biased and your sample size is too small. You definitely need critical thinking whether you know it or not.

When did I stereotype Christians as evil? I have no idea what the point of the rest of your post is. You met a bunch of people who weren't evil and most of them were Christians? You could cut and paste different words in to your story and make it into an "argument" about anything. That is what makes it worthless. It is not your Christian message per se.

[ QUOTE ]
I have known a lot of people and very few of them were happy...I've lived and worked on 3 continents and most of the happy people are the ones media/history portrays...Like Bob Hope...I never knew him but it seems he was happy...Most of the Christians I've known have been sad people...some were exceptionally sad...and I'll bet the happy ones you know are the extremists and you know them from the media...Well they're plenty of non-Christian happies too...Ghandi was one...You only have to turn on the tv or pick up a newpaper to see them...How about that lady NASA astronaut....Don't stereotype Christians as happy...its just not true....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Hitch you are exactly right...the thread was drifting in the wrong direction...
Tpir...see Wikipedia on critical thinking...it seem personal experience is a part of it.. ..