Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Beat: I caught one of my students plagiarizing

Since when is an 80 a B? For my HS and colleges, an 80 was considered a C-.

Oh, and the correct answer is 0 on the 20% assignment and a 78 (97*.8) for the class, along with parental signature of the 0 graded paper.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Update: Bigger Beat

I just went through the other students' papers using Google to search for unique phrases, and I have discovered 6 more of my 11 students with questionable phrasing or downright plagiarism, bringing the total to 7/11. One student copy-and-pasted an entire webpage and called it her own.

Beat: 63% of Coffee's students plagiarize
Bigger Beat: Coffee now has to tender same deal to six new cheaters and regrade.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Update: Bigger Beat

dude ur policy sucks ... teach them a lesson right now. better than getting caught in college.

u r basically failing the duties of a teacher right now
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just went through the other students' papers using Google to search for unique phrases, and I have discovered 6 more of my 11 students with questionable phrasing or downright plagiarism, bringing the total to 7/11. One student copy-and-pasted an entire webpage and called it her own.

Beat: 63% of Coffee's students plagiarize
Bigger Beat: Coffee now has to tender same deal to six new cheaters and regrade.

[/ QUOTE ]
or you could fail them all, and not regrade [censored].
Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just curious, how did you bust her on the wiki thing? Did you google a sentence from her paper? Were you checking on some fact, or looking for more info on something interesting? Were you checking for plagiarism, or just stumble across it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had Wiki open so I could spot-check the papers to make sure they hit all the points they needed to cover for their particular day. The original cheater was the last paper I had to grade, and bam, there it was.

FWIW, I was waiting for the "I wrote the Wiki" excuse from her when I confronted her. To me, that would be the only valid excuse, and I would need to see some sort of hard proof that it was hers first. But...she was guilty because she glossed over my accusation, then tried to say she didn't understand the assignment...which would've been a problem, yes, but is irrelevant, because not understanding the assignment does not excuse blatant plagiarism.

As to the hardasses in here who would up the punishment...I agree that in college things are different, but my response is actually very reasonable for high school. Both my principal and my mother, who is a retired principal and a current high school counselor, agreed with my judgment. You have to let the kids learn at this level, even though we all knew when we were kids that plagiarism was an absolute no-no.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM

I had like 6 plagarizers in one class I taught a couple of years back, it was pretty irritating
Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Ouch. Thats what happens when teachers investigate in to HS papers. I for one don't find it shocking in the least bit that 7/11 used some form of plagiarism.

The more important question is whether they learned it imho. Who knows though, im not a teacher, but I know I for one would give an oral exam to each student and see how they do. That might be too time consuming, but I think its the fairest way to determine if they learned the material or not.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I had Wiki open so I could spot-check the papers to make sure they hit all the points they needed to cover for their particular day.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're using Wiki as a basis to your grading? That sounds like a great method.

/sarcasm
Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Wow, I would bring this to the attention of the principal, and I'd give all the cheaters failing grades on at least that assignment, if not the whole course.

You are being waaaaay too easy on them IMO.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Even in high school, cheating would at LEAST mean a fail on the assignment, if not a lot worse. In college its insta-expel.

"Nice try to slip the old copy-paste by me that time Sara. This paper is getting a frownie face and you're losing half a letter grade. The paper was really excellent though so A-."