Espresso etc 3 6.98%
Girly Coffee 6 13.95%
Herbal Tea 2 4.65%
Tea (milk..) 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I think Grossman played fine. Sure he made a few bad passes. I was kind of glad because I wanted to see how he would react if he wasn't playing perfect. And I think he asserted himself very well especially when the Vikings were bringing 6 and 7 guys on every play. Do we really have to call for his head everytime he throws for less than 70% and throws *gasp* a bad pick?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have more faith in Griese than Sluss does, but I agree that it'd be a mistake to turn to him. Grossman lit up the boards in weeks one and two, but when his passer rating drops to only 100.9, we're ready to throw in the towel? WTF is up with that?

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't understand is the straight up abandoning of the running game. The Bears started running the ball well in the begining of the game. And then waited until the middle of the 4th quarter to even try again. An even distribution on first down is one thing, but when the Vikings are just running everyone at the line you should at least try and slow them down.

[/ QUOTE ]
We did not run the ball well early. If you remove that one 4th quarter 17 yd carry, we were 37 yrds on 17 carries for the day. It kind of scares me. Jones looks afraid to lower his shoulder and plow the pile like he did last year, and Benson's had the same results. But I still don't think we should be abandoning the run. Under 1/3 of our plays were runs, I think.

An ugly win's still a win, though. We're 3-0 in our division with an edge on all tiebreakers and we have two road division games behind us. As I already said, I'm looking forward to Seatlle at home cuz we should learn a lot about the team on Sunday night. Look for Chicagoans to be making all kinds of crazy predictions if we pull the upset and reach 4-0. Go Bears.

Edit: We're forced to pass so frequently cuz opponents keep jamming the box and daring us to air it. Eventually someone will realize that they can't do that with Rex under center like they could last year with Orton back there. Then our run game will bounce back.

Also, the best part about beating the Lions and Packers so handily is that you know we're going to be huge favorites when we meet up again.

Uh. Go Bears.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
puke...ridiculous how Minny handed the game over

The Bears are probably a better team, but Minny should've won today. They just didn't take advantage of their chances and handed the Bears a golden egg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt Grossman hand the Vikings 10 points? Ugly win by Bears they played terrible but still got the W. Big game Sunday vs Seattle.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look for Chicagoans to be making all kinds of crazy predictions if we pull the upset and reach 4-0. Go Bears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Bears are 2.5 point favorites
Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

to all who are defending grossman based on his results against some of the league's worst defenses: yes, he has a good QB rating right now. he also looks totally awkward out there. if a defender is coming at him, he'll get rid of the ball regardless of whether his receiver is double-covered, whether he can get the ball there accurately, or whether he can step into the throw. he can't bring himself to step towards a defender to deliver a throw, or to scramble outside the pocket to allow himself to throw the ball away with impunity. he seems obsessed with throwing off his back foot, which is a real problem when you try to play the vertical passing game he does. and he still doesn't mind taking some really bad gambles, like throwing into triple coverage in the end zone. watch a replay of any of the bears games and you will see examples of this.

i think with some better coaching, he could be a championship-caliber QB, as he has good tools. i don't think he is the right choice to maximize their chances of winning this year.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:36 PM

crockpot,

I agree with all the things you have said. He does make a lot of stupid mistakes but they are correctable ones. Although as a Bears fan I for one and tired tired tired of Bears QBs that do nothing more than just manage the game and pusssy foot around. I know you did not directly say this, but the Bears finally have a strong armed QB that will take some chances. We have the WRs to put up some big yards and I hope they continue to allow Rex to be agressive(hopefully a little smarter at times) and maybe change the nature of Bears footbal.

I guess this so much isn't aimed at your comments crockpot, more of me stating my opinion that I like the direction that Rex can take this team in.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 PM

Looks like Alexander will not play Sunday either
Old 09-25-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crockpot,

I agree with all the things you have said. He does make a lot of stupid mistakes but they are correctable ones. Although as a Bears fan I for one and tired tired tired of Bears QBs that do nothing more than just manage the game and pusssy foot around. I know you did not directly say this, but the Bears finally have a strong armed QB that will take some chances. We have the WRs to put up some big yards and I hope they continue to allow Rex to be agressive(hopefully a little smarter at times) and maybe change the nature of Bears footbal.

I guess this so much isn't aimed at your comments crockpot, more of me stating my opinion that I like the direction that Rex can take this team in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is pretty clear to every Bears fan and people that watch Bears games that when Grossman is in the game there is just a different feeling. As if him making one or two mistakes or the defense making one or two mistakes doesn't mean they lose the game. It's a much less pins and needles feeling that I really like.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crockpot,

[/ QUOTE ]

my observation is that grossman did a terrible job at managing the game this week. He handed mInny points and tried to give even more (Minny missed a pick6). He just has to not make the big turnovers.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

all who replied to my post,

i agree with your comments, and i agree that the feeling with him running the show is much different than with orton, quinn, stewart, mcnown, et al, or even grossman v. 2003-05.

but i think griese should be given more of a chance. he entered the season with a better QB rating than anyone in bears history, including two (injury-abbreviated) seasons of 97 or higher. for this, and his substantially better preseason stats, he is not being given any meaningful playing time, even when the team is ahead by an insurmountable margin. this after the team had said that sexy rexy would have to earn the starting job, not have it handed to him.

i can't comment on whether rex's temperament will change if he perceives a QB controversy, but i doubt he will take offense if the backup comes in with a 20+ point lead in the fourth quarter.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:20 PM

Enjoy!!!