Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: ESPN says Mets announcers are the best

Eurotrash,

If you hate Cohen so much there is something called a mute button. It does wonders, not to mention it keeps people off of lifetilt.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 PM

LOL @ the Met's fans agreeing with the article. And you wonder where they get their homerism/bias/ignorance from?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 PM

And the fact that people are saying anyone other than Vin Skully shows how idiotic this thread is (FYI I'm a diehard Phillies/Kalas fan, too).
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eurotrash,

If you hate Cohen so much there is something called a mute button. It does wonders, not to mention it keeps people off of lifetilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like to listen to the broadcast just to hear all the ridiculous [censored] they say. that way I can post about how much I hate it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

do you have a reference to cite for that statistic? or did you just pull it out of your Gary Cohen-loving, bandbox-hating ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was doing it off the top of my head, as I had remembered CBP giving up 1.25x as many HRs as average. .25/1.25 = 20%. I was wrong. Somebody else posted the parkfactors link again today and CBP is actually at 1.4x. Shea was at 0.9.

[ QUOTE ]

my "riff" is not stupid. they are indeed trying to rewrite comedy record books or they wouldn't consistently make the same stupid jokes about it and all chuckle at it as if it's still funny. or if it ever were funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, every single time they talk about the phillies, they do this, and then they laugh for 10 minutes uncontrollably. GMAFB. If it's so disgustingly painful for you to heard a brief chuckle when scoreboard watching a phillies game that has 15 lead changes and 7 home runs, then boohoo.

[ QUOTE ]

and sure, I'm sure some announce crews may mention that balls fly out of CBP better than at most yards, but it's just a passing comment. The SNY guys love to say it and think it's hilarious every time they get to work in a joke about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're wrong. The term "bandbox" is used throughout the league the same way. Yes, you are probably more likely to hear it on SNY, but that is because they are the main [censored] rivals in the same [censored] division. What do you expect them to talk about? AAA prospects for the Royals?

[ QUOTE ]

it's the same way that they take shots at the Phils bullpen. LOOK AT YOUR OWN [censored] BULLPEN, GARY COHEN. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE FOR YOU LATELY?

[/ QUOTE ]
The phillies bullpen is garbage. That is not taking shots.

Also, the mets bullpen has been garbage, and they've said as much with each passing game on SNY.

[ QUOTE ]

so, in sum, no it would not be "irresponsible" NOT to account for that. like, saying Jose Reyes would have 30 HRs if he played in CBP is ridiculous. the guy has nowhere near the power of Jimmy Rollins, yet the Mets announcers try to paint that picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is untrue. They make brief mention that there are some ballpark factors in play, but the overriding reason is that Jose Reyes has sucked [censored] for about 5 straight months. The Mets announcers praise Rollins all the time for the season he's having. Anytime his name is mentioned, they talk about how he's backed up his early-season trashtalking with a fantastic season that may or may not be wasted by the phillies' pitching.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll conclude with [censored] Gary Cohen, because he sucks.

and to re-address your first statement, my riff was not stupid. nothing I say is stupid. in fact, YOU'RE stupid, you stupid idiotface.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol donk.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the fact that people are saying anyone other than Vin Skully shows how idiotic this thread is (FYI I'm a diehard Phillies/Kalas fan, too).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if you're leveling with your spelling and saying that Kalas is best/co-best is idiotic.

He's in the HoF. He's in the discussion. Period.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

do you have a reference to cite for that statistic? or did you just pull it out of your Gary Cohen-loving, bandbox-hating ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was doing it off the top of my head, as I had remembered CBP giving up 1.25x as many HRs as average. .25/1.25 = 20%. I was wrong. Somebody else posted the parkfactors link again today and CBP is actually at 1.4x. Shea was at 0.9.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, wow, so Shea has a "parkfactor" of 0.9. I guess we've settled it. Gary Cohen is right. Shea is a pitcher's park, that's the way baseball should be. SUCH A PITCHER'S PARK.

btw it's kind of lol that you decided to do the math for me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

my "riff" is not stupid. they are indeed trying to rewrite comedy record books or they wouldn't consistently make the same stupid jokes about it and all chuckle at it as if it's still funny. or if it ever were funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, every single time they talk about the phillies, they do this, and then they laugh for 10 minutes uncontrollably. GMAFB. If it's so disgustingly painful for you to heard a brief chuckle when scoreboard watching a phillies game that has 15 lead changes and 7 home runs, then boohoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I honestly didn't even understand that first part. but when you start talking about (fifteen) 15 lead changes and seven (7) homeruns, you're just being ridiculous. There are only a handful of games that get that wild, and they're actually exciting.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and sure, I'm sure some announce crews may mention that balls fly out of CBP better than at most yards, but it's just a passing comment. The SNY guys love to say it and think it's hilarious every time they get to work in a joke about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're wrong. The term "bandbox" is used throughout the league the same way. Yes, you are probably more likely to hear it on SNY, but that is because they are the main [censored] rivals in the same [censored] division. What do you expect them to talk about? AAA prospects for the Royals?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I haven't heard the term "bandbox" used in other broadcasts. I have. I'm just saying that they don't consistently run that routine into the ground with every backhanded compliment they give the Phillies. "Oh, Burrell is having an excellent second half... good thing he plays at CBP."

"Oh, it's a shame Reyes didn't play at CBP or he'd be MLB's first 75/75 man."

and if they can't think of anything else to talk about during the broadcast than the Phils ballpark, well, then that's pretty pathetic.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

it's the same way that they take shots at the Phils bullpen. LOOK AT YOUR OWN [censored] BULLPEN, GARY COHEN. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE FOR YOU LATELY?

[/ QUOTE ]
The phillies bullpen is garbage. That is not taking shots.

Also, the mets bullpen has been garbage, and they've said as much with each passing game on SNY.

[/ QUOTE ]

since you're so good at finding statistics, maybe you should compare the bullpen ERAs during the month of september. and even over the entire season now. I'd be interested to see what those numbers look like. I'm not saying tha Phils bullpen would have a better ERA, but I'd just like to see the numbers.

and their pen is inconsistent, but certainly not "garbage."

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so, in sum, no it would not be "irresponsible" NOT to account for that. like, saying Jose Reyes would have 30 HRs if he played in CBP is ridiculous. the guy has nowhere near the power of Jimmy Rollins, yet the Mets announcers try to paint that picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is untrue. They make brief mention that there are some ballpark factors in play, but the overriding reason is that Jose Reyes has sucked [censored] for about 5 straight months. The Mets announcers praise Rollins all the time for the season he's having. Anytime his name is mentioned, they talk about how he's backed up his early-season trashtalking with a fantastic season that may or may not be wasted by the phillies' pitching.

[/ QUOTE ]

see my comment about backhanded compliments that the SNY team loves to give. they say he's having a great year and chalk it up to "the 81 games they get to play at CBP." "Jose Reyes has the clear defensive edge over Jimmy Rollins!" Sure Gary, whatever helps you sleep at night.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'll conclude with [censored] Gary Cohen, because he sucks.

and to re-address your first statement, my riff was not stupid. nothing I say is stupid. in fact, YOU'RE stupid, you stupid idiotface.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, queer.

other than all that, you seem like a pretty good guy.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 PM

Eurotrash,

Are you the Phils fan that spit at me a few weeks ago after the Phils swept the Mets?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 PM

If I'm listening to ANY game on the radio, I'd want Jon Miller doing it. He is the best IMO.

BTW, I HATE the Giants, but not as much as the Mets and Phils
Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 PM

The Mets announcers are constantly ridiculous about CBP. If a team has a 2 run lead in Philly they constantly shrug it off like it is no big deal since the game is in CBP and both teams obviously are going to get to like 14 runs....

It is just stupid....look up some facts from time to time