Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Christians: What\'s bad about wool and linen blended together?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) All diseases & pain are a punishment from God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think technically if you follow the law of god you are protected from disease and stuff, but if you don't you are subject to time and chance, in cases like this.

But yeah, that's the gist of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier in this thread, I already said that I disagree with the idea that disease or misfortune is generally God's punishment for a specific behavior.

I still don't understand what you are trying to show here. Is it that Christians are obligated not to eat fat? Or is it that Christianity is ridiculous? I suspect the latter, but want to be sure that I don't misunderstand.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) All diseases & pain are a punishment from God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think technically if you follow the law of god you are protected from disease and stuff, but if you don't you are subject to time and chance, in cases like this.

But yeah, that's the gist of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier in this thread, I already said that I disagree with the idea that disease or misfortune is generally God's punishment for a specific behavior.

I still don't understand what you are trying to show here. Is it that Christians are obligated not to eat fat? Or is it that Christianity is ridiculous? I suspect the latter, but want to be sure that I don't misunderstand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pretty fundamental to pin down where, exactly, disease and pain come from in the world of a Christian.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its pretty fundamental to pin down where, exactly, disease and pain come from in the world of a Christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in the world certain things happen and maybe God just said look this is bad for you you shouldn't do it. It doesn't necessarily mean God causes it specifically.

I mean it says in the bible to wash your hands before you eat, it doesn't mean God checks on you and if you didn't wash your hands you get punished. It just means God said look, it's a good idea to wash your hands before you eat.

My point is that 1000 years ago no one knew why you were supposed to wash your hands, even though there was a reason.

Maybe we just don't know the reason why wearing mixed fabrics is wrong.

On the other hand, maybe the mixed fabrics thing is in a different category than natural law stuff like germs and hardening of the arteries.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM

I think you are really misunderstanding Christianity, or at least what I believe. Most Christians do not believe in a specific cause and effect relationship for specific sins and punishments, but rather pain and suffering is the result of being a sinner. So while things like STD's could punish those with many partners and things like that, I still don't believe every pain and suffering is a result of a specific sin.