Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Talking poker outside 2p2

I showed my friend a HH the other day of how i lose a 13k pot and he automatically assumed I had a gambling problem. Who cares, let them grind in the cubicle.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM

It's even tougher if you have girlfriend who constantly asks things like "How much are you down?" Not only does she have no idea what she's talking about, but doesn't care to know and won't shut up until the answer is a number. I've tried to explain it to her over and over and over again and she just doesn't care and keeps on nagging. That's impossible to solve short of making enough to shut her up or dumping her.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM

I wish I had kept my mouth shut. I finally told my roomates how I do in poker and now they all want lessons. They all want to put $50 online and have me help them turn it into a billion dollars overnight. Or they want to give me money and take a piece of me.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM

Occasionally I will have someone ask me about the poker books I read on my off time at work but anything beyond a topical conversation about poker is met with a glassy stare.

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I had kept my mouth shut. I finally told my roomates how I do in poker and now they all want lessons. They all want to put $50 online and have me help them turn it into a billion dollars overnight. Or they want to give me money and take a piece of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charge them 50/hr and ask that they spread word around that you are giving lessons.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:39 PM

I don't like discussing it.

1. They think you're a degenerate.
2. They don't believe you.
3. They believe you and are jealous and then start attacking you: "Well that's great - but you're just exploiting people. What are you doing for the world?"
4. They believe you want want a piece of you.

Rarely can anybody just accept it and move on or have a passive conversation about it.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the opposite feeling, I have some friends that play home games once a month and play money online. I have offered lessons, becasue I think I would feel really good about contributing to them learing a skill that would make them money. I just cant help wanting to help them considering I see how poor they play and they are my friends. They show zero interst in improvement, they think they know all to know.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the opposite feeling, I have some friends that play home games once a month and play money online. I have offered lessons, becasue I think I would feel really good about contributing to them learing a skill that would make them money. I just cant help wanting to help them considering I see how poor they play and they are my friends. They show zero interst in improvement, they think they know all to know.

[/ QUOTE ]
True dat.

"I'm more of a gut player, you like all that math crap. It's just not my style"
Old 11-20-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
True dat.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolzers
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol yeah.

imo the worst is when you have friends who know some poker but don't like 2p2 and like to spout their own theories. for example i have just been getting educated by my flatmate in 'bullying short stacks with a big stack in a cash game' (apparently this works better in cash games than in tournaments). this flatmate is also the author of 'calling to fold' theory - the idea is that to avoid having the image of someone who can be run over you occassionally call a PFR with trash intending to fold to 95%+ of flops. lolllll

thankfully i have a few mates who do understand the game pretty well...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or they want to give me money and take a piece of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!