Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Chicago Bears 2007 Official Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He was however slated to take Adrian Peterson's spot on Special Teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first I've read this and am unhappy. I think Peterson is the best special teamer in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even the best on his team, wtf?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the d will be as strong as ever with the additions of adam archuleta and darwin walker

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep seeing this over and over. Ya'll are way too excited over a couple of a 30 year old castoffs that have had miserable seasons the past couple years.

Obv I understand that Archuleta was a bad fit in WAS and Walker declined when he wasn't playing next to Simon, but I mean, it's not five years ago anymore. Any warm body is going to play pretty well next to Tommie Harris, who cares if it's Walker?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:39 PM

I missed the 1st team portion of tonight's pre-season game, but Orton looked pretty crisp tonight. And Wolfe is looking pretty shifty right now.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the d will be as strong as ever with the additions of adam archuleta and darwin walker

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep seeing this over and over. Ya'll are way too excited over a couple of a 30 year old castoffs that have had miserable seasons the past couple years.

Obv I understand that Archuleta was a bad fit in WAS and Walker declined when he wasn't playing next to Simon, but I mean, it's not five years ago anymore. Any warm body is going to play pretty well next to Tommie Harris, who cares if it's Walker?

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not real pumped about Archuleta, however the Bears gave up next to nothing for him when last year they wanted him and would have had to give him a big deal. If he ends up being a problem, they still have Manning to fill in. They really have nothing to lose.

I like Walker, he took off a bunch of plays and struggled with double teams the last two years, but he has really looked good pass rushing against single teams. Though almost any DT should be fine there, I like having a guy with good pass rush skills. He also seems much happier than he was last year. And the Eagles didn't part with him lightly. If they cut him or if they didn't resign him I would be less enthusiastic.

[ QUOTE ]
I missed the 1st team portion of tonight's pre-season game, but Orton looked pretty crisp tonight. And Wolfe is looking pretty shifty right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL Network @ 10 am this morning.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Alright watched the whole game this morning. The special teams stunk out loud. The coverage was bad on kicks, the blocking wasn't great on returns. That needs to be worked on.

Rex looked great. Of course it's the preseason, but he stuggled through alot of the preseason last year. Throwing good passes, spreading the ball around and Olsen looks like he is going to be a beast at times this year. I was most impressed by Grossman's footwork. He wasn't backpeddling and even stepped up in the pocket to complete a third down pass. It's all baby steps to becoming more consistent.

Benson looked good as well. He hit the holes hard like you knew he would, but also looked good coming out of the backfield and catching the ball. Wolfe was also pretty impressive and made me feel good about a Peterson/Wolfe combo if/when Benson gets hurt.

I still feel good about the defensive depth. The cover two though is really suspect to tight ends when the linebackers are not named Urlacher & Briggs.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 AM

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/oth...icleid=1019514

Bad news bears. Briggs leaves the scene of a crash of his Lamborghini. I guess he will need some more money in that next contract.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 AM

It'll be interesting to see how Goodell handles this.

I mean, common sense says he was probably intoxicated and bailed to avoid a DUI, but the players union would fight hard if they tried to suspend him. If Briggs gets off cleanly from the league I'd expect that he won't be the last NFL player abandoning a wrecked car.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It'll be interesting to see how Goodell handles this.

I mean, common sense says he was probably intoxicated and bailed to avoid a DUI, but the players union would fight hard if they tried to suspend him. If Briggs gets off cleanly from the league I'd expect that he won't be the last NFL player abandoning a wrecked car.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty sad reality, but in most places leaving the scene of the accident is a good idea if your drunk. Because who can ever prove you have been drinking? I know where I live there was just alot of talk about this because it is a mandatory 3 year sentence if you kill somebody while driving drunk and a mandatory 1 year sentence if you kill someone and leave the scene. So if your drunk are you going to stick around?

I'm pretty sure there is nothing the league can do here, unless he gets the book thrown at him for leaving the scene of an accident, which is a misdameanor. For some reason I can't see that happening. I'm already not a fan of suspending guys who have not been convicted of anything, but if you start suspending guys for getting in one car accidents what have we got ourselves into?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Note to self: if crash car while drunk, bail scene. Got it. Thanks Sluss.

Seriously though, for Briggs, if he doesn't have a record (does he?) he doesn't deserve a suspension. So he crashed his car. Oops. No biggy.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM

I'm a big Bears fan, but I really think those of you locking in 12 wins need a serious reality check.

We've still got serious qb issues. I stated in about week 12 that Grossman should've been replaced for the rest of '06. Poor decision making could be overcome relatively quickly, but poor mechanics couldn't be fixed by the playoffs. At the time I wanted to give him until the beginning of this season to work on his mechanics, but I haven't seen anything in the preseason to ease my fears. I hope I'm wrong.

Hester, I'm sorry to say, is not as good as many are making him out to be. On a team that needed consistency last year, he had 11 (eleven!!!) special teams fumbles. Teams will be better prepared for him this year.

The team will suffer from superbowl hangover. They have targets on their backs. And they might be distracted by off-field situations.

I'm never a pessimist, but I really feel that a previous poster was right about the Bears experiencing some upward variance last year. I see both Hester and the Bears sort of reverting to the mean. I'd take 2 ST TDs for Hester and 9.5 wins as my over-under. I'm giving us a number that high because we're in the NFC North.

Kev

PS. Whoever called Wolfe "a legit NFL back" made me lol. He's less than 180 lbs. I eat pieces of [censored] bigger than that for breakfast.