Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Why I Am A Semi-Sociopath

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your proof that Americans are the good guys is...Vietnam. Good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

You too are an illinformed know it all. The American soldiers that went to Vietnam indeed believed that they were serving their Country. They believed they were doing good. Because their leaders led them astray makes their sacrfice no less commendable. Yes Vietnam Vetrans are GOOD GUYS! And yes I say my choice is indeed a "GOOD SHOW!" You sir know nothing.

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]
Good logics, I think you'll agree with the following.

The guys who blew up the world trade center were good guys, they believed that they were doing a good thing. They thought that they were serving their COUNTRY! These are just their leaders who led them astray. But it doesn't make these terrorists bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My prediction for his response:

"LOL now you are comparing American soldiers to Muslim terrorists I can tell you are a loony I'm done posting in this thread" as the point you are trying to make is conveniently ignored.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 AM

I predict a backpedal and semantic quibbling when we mention his original post about how David's "OWN" fight to protect his freedom.

But who's up at this hour anyway? Are you already at the point in med school where you aren't allowed to sleep?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 AM

Interesting facts I have learnt from this thread:

- Preferring to help one person over another on the basis of that person's actions or character makes one a "sociopath".

- There is such a thing as "white people in general".

- Americans are more deserving of help than other people by virtue of being Americans.

- If someone believes they are fighting for their country, that automatically means they are "defending their country's freedom", regardless of who they are fighting or why they are fighting them.

- One can draw analogies between Vietnam veterans and the 9/11 terrorists because the terrorists were "fighting for their country". Saudi Arabia?

- Politics belongs in SMP.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting facts I have learnt from this thread:

- Preferring to help one person over another on the basis of that person's actions or character makes one a "sociopath".

- There is such a thing as "white people in general".

- Americans are more deserving of help than other people by virtue of being Americans.

- If someone believes they are fighting for their country, that automatically means they are "defending their country's freedom", regardless of who they are fighting or why they are fighting them.

- One can draw analogies between Vietnam veterans and the 9/11 terrorists because the terrorists were "fighting for their country". Saudi Arabia?

- Politics belongs in SMP.

[/ QUOTE ]
You missed one;

People forced to fight by governments are automatically defending their countries freedom.

chez
Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I predict a backpedal and semantic quibbling when we mention his original post about how David's "OWN" fight to protect his freedom.

But who's up at this hour anyway? Are you already at the point in med school where you aren't allowed to sleep?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I am posting from the student lounge at 8 am on a Sunday. My life pretty much sucks.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems that Sklansky prefers helping others rather than his own

[/ QUOTE ]

"His own?" Because they happen to live in relative close geographic proximity, they're "his own?" [censored]. A smart, rational person in Bangladesh has much more in common with David than a dumb [censored] in Vegas.

Hell, a good proportion of my "own" would string me up just for my sexual preferences or religious beliefs.

[ QUOTE ]
even when his own are just as needy as others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahaha. Americans are "just as needy" as Bangladeshi now?

[ QUOTE ]
HIS OWN fight to ensure that he has the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not in the last 60 years has any American fought to ensure the freedom of other Americans. (Or to ensure freedom at all IMO). Even back then, it was the British and the Soviets who did all the work. And now the Europeans have much more freedom than we do.

[ QUOTE ]
Yet he prefers not to help them. Yeah he isnt a sociopath. Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG he's not a jingoistic [censored]! Clearly he's suffering from APD!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

We all owe a debt to the russians who are seldom remembered. Their dead outnumber any other nation's starkly.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They thought that they were serving their COUNTRY

[/ QUOTE ]

And what Country is that?

pokervintage
Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People forced to fight by governments are automatically defending their countries freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the U.S. we have an all volunteer military. No one is forced to enlist. American soldiers volunteer to Defend this country and its citizens (freedom). If you don't understand that you do not understand the U.S. Military. I do not claim to understand the motives of soldiers in other countries but in this country they serve and they die for our freedom. You can critisize if you like but that is with out a doubt the truth!

pokervintge
Old 11-12-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the U.S. we have an all volunteer military. No one is forced to enlist. American soldiers volunteer to Defend this country and its citizens (freedom). If you don't understand that you do not understand the U.S. Military. I do not claim to understand the motives of soldiers in other countries but in this country they serve and they die for our freedom. You can critisize if you like but that is with out a doubt the truth!

pokervintge

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm...pretty sure he was responding to your stance on the soldiers who died in vietnam. Who are you to determine what they were fighting for when many of them did not voluntarily join the military?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm...pretty sure he was responding to your stance on the soldiers who died in vietnam. Who are you to determine what they were fighting for when many of them did not voluntarily join the military?

[/ QUOTE ]

What! This is certainly nonsense. I entered the U.s military in 1965. I retired from the militaty in 1985. Even during the Vietnam War soldiers that were drafted and did not leave the country but entered the military believed they were doing so in Defense of Freedom. Freedom not only for the Vietnamese people but for the free world. They served, fought and died for that belief. Now was that a hundred percent of those soldiers? I don't know. I don't speak for all of them, you are correct. But I knew and served with quite a few during the entire Vietnam War and I can tell you those I served with believed our leaders when they told s we were protecting our country's freedom and the freedom of the free world. For the record, I was in the U.S air force during the war but did not serve in Vietnam.

There were many who did not serve and left the country to avoid the draft. Those that stayed understood the need for the draft and accepted that their country needed them They too could have left this country and not served. They didn't. They were not forced to stay and fight. Their country did not force them to stay. They did it of their own free will.

pokervintage