Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 06:11 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Soccer: How about owning your own club?

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive me because I don't follow much European soccer... but $3.6 million seems like an extremely small amount to buy a team. How much is a lower level team usually worth?

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my initial thought. I get the impression that we wouldnt even be able to afford a league two side. 3.6 million dollars is like what a championship team spends on a single transfer.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then again, I took over coaching my rec-league team and switched our formation and line-ups to what I thought would work better (including bolstering our defense) and we went from 1-9-0 to 4-2-4 with mostly the same players.

[/ QUOTE ]

9 midfielders? Was Steve Sampson your coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the same thing. now im thinking he might be talking about their record pre and post switch. either way it seems kind of strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has the be the teams record, not sure why that would be strange

[/ QUOTE ]

well he picked a x-x-x formatted number that added up to 10 both times. Since this is the standard way one writes a formation and he is using it to write a record it is a bit confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

also standard way to write W/L/T, but if someone is actually going to go with a 1-9-0 id like to see it.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:20 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Soccer: How about owning your own club? *DELETED*

Post deleted by PITTM
Old 07-24-2007, 06:32 PM

I got that backwards in my post regarding the formation stuff as the traditional way of expressing a soccer formation is to go back-to-front (defenders-midfielders-forwards) and not front-to-back which is what I did.

The idea of us having 9 midfielders even got me all messed up and confused apparently.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Forgive me because I don't follow much European soccer... but $3.6 million seems like an extremely small amount to buy a team. How much is a lower level team usually worth?

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my initial thought. I get the impression that we wouldnt even be able to afford a league two side. 3.6 million dollars is like what a championship team spends on a single transfer.

[/ QUOTE ]

we could pick up a non-league side for sure for that amount of money. could maybe get a conference club, but more likely get a conference north or conference south club
Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we could pick up a non-league side for sure for that amount of money. could maybe get a conference club, but more likely get a conference north or conference south club

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I don't understand any of this, it's probably not wise for me to own 1/50,000 of a team. But whatever, I'm getting "Soccer Team Owner" business cards made up the second I send in my $75.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 PM

the thing evan brought up that makes me uncomfortable is that 50k people sign up and THEN they bill us. I get the feeling that the 50k person billing will be the first of many long waiting periods in this process.

also:

"Can MyFootballClub Members sell the club the if they want to?"

Yes. It will require a 75% majority to pass such a motion. However, as the club will not be run for members’ profit, any proceeds from the sale will not be shared by MyFootballClub Members. This is therefore unlikely to happen in practice. If, however, a vote passed to sell the club, then proceeds would be given to a charity with similar objects.

wait, so if the team makes it to the prem and we sell it we get nothing? booooooo.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 PM

A) Yes, paying after the fact is going to take forever and I guarantee that all 50K people aren't going to pay up. Hell, I signed up and I'm still not 100% committed to this. Bad idea #1. I'd ask for all money up front, with the "at 1 year, you can request a refund if a team isn't purchased yet" disclaimer.

B) Non-profit is dumb. Let the owners decide what to do with the profits. If they want to reinvest it, great. If they want to donate it, great. If they want to put it into their own pockets, great. This should be a business, not just some fantasy game.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

B) Non-profit is dumb. Let the owners decide what to do with the profits. If they want to reinvest it, great. If they want to donate it, great. If they want to put it into their own pockets, great. This should be a business, not just some fantasy game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. One of the main selling points of this model is that rather than having an owner that may be operating to line his own pockets, you have a group that is operating solely for the good of the team and reinvesting every penny to benefit the team. This will make the idea more palatable to the current fans of the team chosen and also make it more likely to garner future fans.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. One of the main selling points of this model is that rather than having an owner that may be operating to line his own pockets, you have a group that is operating solely for the good of the team and reinvesting every penny to benefit the team. This will make the idea more palatable to the current fans of the team chosen and also make it more likely to garner future fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can see there are benefits to that. I personally want a for-profit organization, but I can see how others would want your way.

However, the "if we sell the team, profits are donated" is really dumb. That needs to be voted on. At a very minimum, the owners should be able to recoup their spendings on the team before money is dished out to charity.