Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Would you save 10 million people?

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell do you get stuck in this situation anyway? Some sicko just has 10 million people caged up? Then he comes up to you and he says "Alright, it's you, or them."

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the owner of a nuclear powerplant. Only you know the correct sequence to shut down the plant during a meltdown where it would harm no civillians or workers and your plant exploding could kill 10 million people. The plant goes critical and your [censored] contractor put the shutoff control panel in the core.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:43 AM

I think I'm worth more to humanity alive

who here can top my ego NO ONE!!!

edit: I'd do it for all humans on Earth however
Old 09-17-2006, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would YOU sacrifice your life, the only life you will ever have, and leave all of your loved ones behind, to save a bunch of people who have never and will possibly never influence your life or the life of anyone you ever have or ever will be a part of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beacuse no one person's life is, can be or should be more valuable than 10 million people, irrespective of your relationship, their ethnicity, or the possibility importance of what they may do with their lives. To me, there is a greater good, and it is not to live while 10 million people die.

This was posed simply as a question to get you to think. There is, obviously, no right or wrong answer. Just the answer that defines your being, and many of you, personally suck.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to those saying no and citing compassion for family members/friends but not for 10 million randoms, what is so special about someone you know compared to someone you don't? what if it was a 2nd cousin or maybe 4th cousin removed?

what will drive you to give up your life for you sister or mother but say [censored] off to 10 million people that you could save? how does that make any sense?

imagine you are standing up on a platform over a canyon and they had the 10 million people all there ready to be driven over the edge. they are asking you if you will save them or not and you say hell no and watch them all die. who the hell would do that? 10 million people... come on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because living my life and spending it with my family means more TO ME than saving 10 million other people I don't know or care about.

What if it was just 5 people? The number 10 million means something to you? How about 1 million?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The fact that my mother, father, and sisters have been the most significant people in my life for all of it (not quite all for the sisters, because I am the oldest) and I would not have a problem with expressing my gratitude by dying so they could live.

What have the 10 million random people done for me? Are they even Americans or part of some other civilized country that will benefit me somehow in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

is it really the fact that they've "done something" for you. if you have a newborn baby, it hasn't done anything for you but you'd save it. what's the real reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you were in the 10 million on the cliff, I'd push you off first.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell do you get stuck in this situation anyway? Some sicko just has 10 million people caged up? Then he comes up to you and he says "Alright, it's you, or them."

[/ QUOTE ]

It is good that you think outside the box! lol. Let's not think philospohically, let's just put this in practical terms. Let's break this down even further...which state would they be in and what were they wearing? How 'bout how good looking they are or if they are killed 1 by 1 or 2 by 2! Imsakidd, well thought out and engaging response!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is good that you think outside the box! lol. Let's not think philospohically, let's just put this in practical terms. Let's break this down even further...which state would they be in and what were they wearing? How 'bout how good looking they are or if they are killed 1 by 1 or 2 by 2! Imsakidd, well thought out and engaging response!

[/ QUOTE ]
So, what number is the cut off point for you? What if it was my 2 kids or you? What if it was just one of my kids or you? You dying then?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:08 AM

Of course the death of ten million people would be plastered all over the news, the papers, the magazines. I think I'd feel far too much guilt to live knowing I could have stopped that when I'm hearing about it every 30 minutes for a week or two. If everyone who I saved would see me as someone to be hated, it might be different, but I don't know.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:15 AM

Prisoner's Dilemma.

I think one is leaving absolutely massive amounts of +EV on the table by being selfish here.

And note, if one of you [censored] actually chooses to do this and someone finds out, basically, you're screwed, and you need to be screwed. Repeatably. Luckily, this never happens.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:46 PM

i would nevee even consider doing this. there's just no reason to. the number could go as high as 100 million or more and i still wouldn't sacrifice myself.