Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Watches

cts I don't know how you don't have like a dozen watches...you could go buy one for 10k, put your laptop on the counter as you're paying and win back the money you just spent before they finished printing your receipt.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:04 PM

While I think the mechanical genius that is put into expensive watches is cool, I think if you want to spend money on technology you should buy an expensive car.

I know of only one watch that will always display exactly the right time, whereever you are:

I gotta admit it's not really pretty, but it's the best watch there is at doing what a watch should do.

I personally have this one, and I like it because I always know the exact right time:

If I ever become so rich I don't have to care about what time it is I'd get something like this:

If your sole purpose in a watch is to show people around you what great taste and class you have, the watches in the OP are the way to go though.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Manque,

I'm still young and learning about watches, pick up a watch magazine, read read read. You'll fall in love and make the right decision.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:28 PM

That IWC everyone keeps posting is beautiful...
Old 09-29-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Manque,

I'm still young and learning about watches, pick up a watch magazine, read read read. You'll fall in love and make the right decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. As I said, I don't know a great deal about watches. I have some idea on how they are made and what the different components do. I know I want a brand that design and makes its own movements as opposed to using a supplier like ETA.

I also know that I want a watch that's classically elegent. This will be my first major watch purchase, so it will need to be appropriate in a variety of situations. Down the road maybe I will buy something more esoteric.

Next week I hope to go see a few of these watches and I'll report back my impressions.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:44 PM

Jeez, some of those watches are visual messes.

I'm not a guy with a ton of cash, FW that's worth, but for me a big part of the value of a watch is how rugged it is, so I have always liked diving watches. But the real ones, not the ones with a dial on the face that is fake and doesn't really spin. That type just makes someone look like a poser. I'm not a diver either, so maybe I'm part poser too, but I am a klutz who gets wet and bangs his watch up hard sometimes, so I'm not good with anything too brittle. I like the durability of the real thing, not cheap costume jewelry made to simply "look" like it's a real working-type watch.

I went hunting for watches a while back, for either a diving watch or something dressy to wear out, whatever. Eventually I will probably have one of each. At my moderate budget, it seemed impossible to find one with any type of restrained elegance without paying a big premium. Everything was loud, multi-colored, with tons of messy doo-dads and thoroughly bad taste in general. Simple, elegant, and no-nonsense was virtually out of the question. It seems that people making mass-market watches have decided the mass market must be tripping balls or something, and easily wowed with the most garish, cheap flash. It took months of looking to find one that I wasn't embarrassed to be seen wearing.

As of now, I can see paying some kind of premium just so you don't look like a clown. It just seems weird you'd have to do that.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Manque,

Fwiw, I own the Jaeger-Lecoultre Master Control in 18k yellow gold, brown alligator band and I really like it.

Sometimes, I think “Wtf did I spend the money on this thing?” Then I wear it. No regrets.

RJT
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also 3.0, is your $400 hamilton that much better than revots $45 timex?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...no, not really. A standard Seiko looks just like a Rolex to me...

It's odd...I'll spend a premium on certain items like clothes and a car...but not a watch!

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way, Dom. You run into a few friends on the strip. They are going to one of the nicer dining establishments in town. You don’t have time to go home and change. They ask you to join them.

Scenario 1) You are wearing jeans, sneakers and your $400 Hamilton.

Scenario 2) You are wearing jeans, sneakers and by shear luck, this morning you put on your $4400 Jaeger-LeCoultre.

I’d joined them in scenario 2 and would feel totally relaxed about my appearance the whole evening. I might join along in scenario 1, but I would feel underdressed and uncomfortable the whole time.

p.s. This is regardless of anyone knowing what I am wearing.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:09 PM

Blarg,

Seiko dive watch ftw.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM

I don't have time to post examples, but when I have the money (and the desire) to buy an expensive watch, I plan on going vintage. Quality + a little more character.