Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: hellgate london beta testers

Who is all getting this game? I played demo as Marksman and it was awesome, exactly like my expectations, what did people who are dissapointed with this game expect???

The only thing thats really dumb so far is the melee combat. I dont really care tho because Im playing a marksman.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Believe it is being changed.

Silly lines being removed, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is positive at least.

[ QUOTE ]

since the nda is indeed lifted, can you say what was so meh about your experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the process of getting wasted off 'white' (ie chocolate soymilk) russians, so now probably isn't the time for my formal review, heh.

Basically just an overall feeling of meh. Certainly the atmosphere was lacking, hopefully the change in dialog will help. Balance issues were apparent. I'm sure they will make some changes, but I think upgradeable weapons/armor are going to be way too much for them to handle. I played a summoner to like lvl 20 and was doing sick damage with my whatever the [censored] it was called aoe xcaster weapon with 6 mod slots and upgraded like 4 times, to say nothing of my minions.

Basically it was stand around, hold down fire and resummon my dieing fire elementals. Dunno, just didn't do too much for me. What is the polish lvl like now would you current testers estimate? It was rather unpolished when I played. Not much feedback from the devs on the forums either.

Environments got old after a bit. Tabula Rasa which plays similar just had a better feel to it, perhaps it was the expansive environments.... I will write more later
Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Believe it is being changed.

Silly lines being removed, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is positive at least.

[ QUOTE ]

since the nda is indeed lifted, can you say what was so meh about your experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the process of getting wasted off 'white' (ie chocolate soymilk) russians, so now probably isn't the time for my formal review, heh.

Basically just an overall feeling of meh. Certainly the atmosphere was lacking, hopefully the change in dialog will help. Balance issues were apparent. I'm sure they will make some changes, but I think upgradeable weapons/armor are going to be way too much for them to handle. I played a summoner to like lvl 20 and was doing sick damage with my whatever the [censored] it was called aoe xcaster weapon with 6 mod slots and upgraded like 4 times, to say nothing of my minions.

Basically it was stand around, hold down fire and resummon my dieing fire elementals. Dunno, just didn't do too much for me. What is the polish lvl like now would you current testers estimate? It was rather unpolished when I played. Not much feedback from the devs on the forums either.

Environments got old after a bit. Tabula Rasa which plays similar just had a better feel to it, perhaps it was the expansive environments.... I will write more later

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently is a patch in place for release that should fix a good amount of things.

Dont really understand the negativity, its rather standard for an online game like this to be released as a work in progress and be balanced + tweaked after release.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dont really understand the negativity, its rather standard for an online game like this to be released as a work in progress and be balanced + tweaked after release.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes, I have beta tested a few games. While I do have some issues with polish it is also just the general feel of the game. Although I do think that upgradeable weapons/armor are going to be a serious bitch to balance. Random weapons are problematic enough by themselves.

It is possible that people looking for the 'spiritual successor' to d2 just aren't going to be satisfied with HGL. Different animals to a degree anyway. I also don't think you can recapture the d2 experience. Just like with xcom (how many clones have there been?) it is kind of a time and place sort of thing.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 PM

billnye - i will for sure be getting this game and it'd take something very negative for me to not subscribe, either.

the three main things i've heard critiqued most often seem to be the fact that the environment gets stale after a while, the skill trees aren't good (not descriptive, supposedly the skills aren't much use either but i've heard arguments against that), and that the whole balance thing is an issue

hopefully the main thing they improve (for me) is pvp (which i've heard thus far is kind of non-existant). i guess that impacts balance to an extent but they were able to accomplish both worlds in d2.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 PM

The only thing I dont like about how they are handling the game is the subscription part of it.

Non subscribers: 3 character slots
Subscribers: 24 character slots

Im subscribing, but seriously 3 slots is a joke for a game that has no respecs.

G-Bebe,

I've heard the same complaints. I have only played the demo but the skill trees / character customization is awesome, cant understand how peopel complain about this. To say that the skill tree is useless is crazy, I have seen the full skill calculator (it has bugs in it) but I messed around with it and the variety of builds were really large.

Balance is an issue in all games like this, thats gonna happen, as far as the PvE goes there are 4 modes: normal, elite (hard), hardcore (die = character is dead), and elite-hardcore.

So the whole "the game is too easy" is insane, if normal is too easy play Elite, HC, or Elite-HC.

As far as the environment I can see that complaint but I really could care less. I have seen most likely only 20m of the game from vids and I have seen a variety of environments although the subway / destructed buildings/roads is obviously the predominant theme.

Cant wait for this game, judging by how many people are logged onto the HGL: Forums and the fact that the game has already gone Gold Flagship has already made good money on the game and even if it is released and is crappy the subscribers will keep them working at the game to polish it up.

Only question for me is if I should take the founders offer or not

100 bucks or 10 / month
Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 PM

I was actually contemplating pre-ordering the game and getting the founders offer... but I'm going to pass. There's just not a whole lot to the game. I have two level 12 characters, engineer and blademaster, and it feels like nothing is going to change. The skills aren't very useful and there's not a wide variety of them.

As the other poster said, it's basically hold down the mouse button and collect the loot.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As the other poster said, it's basically hold down the mouse button and collect the loot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just dont see how the combat is less intuitive than other games, I'll use WoW as an example because its the most popular game ever, and I played it to 70.

A hunter in WoW basically kites and sit still and does white damage and hits a couple skills for special attacks.

A Marksman in HGL can not only kite but manages their crosshair size by how quickly they fire, they still have the skills.

How is it more Shoot + Loot than other games?

I havent played it past level 5, so Im not saying your wrong, I just dont get how it is an issue. Either way im buying the game, its exactly waht I was hoping and expecting at least the demo was, and if I can have that much fun at level 5 in single player mode im really looking forward to 40-50's multiplayer.

Maybe the fact that I never played D2 helped because it seems like a large group of people are turned off because it isnt the exact same as D2 was.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 AM

As engineer, I used rocket launchers where you didn't have to manage the recoil. It was homing and did splash, I found guns with direct damage to be extremely underpowered compared to splash (same with swords as well).

Also, if I thought recoil was a big issue, I'd play CS or some better FPS.

I've never played WoW, but out of the other MMORPGS I've played, I found that there's a strong correlation between total skills/skill effectiveness and boredom. Hellgate lacks the amount of skills and effectiveness skills, which is why I got bored at around level 8 of my melee and range characters.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:39 AM

btw, I've got a Europe server beta invite for anyone who wants it (open until the 27th), I'm inclined to believe this is going to be an updated/patched version of the game for testing before they do rollback and get ready for manufacturing.

Anyone who wants it can PM or post here