Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: the king of kong

[ QUOTE ]
Charlie,

A really huge spoiler like that isn't welcome in this thread. Edit plz, or put in white.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. WTF were you thinking. This should be the single most ban worthy offense in OOT.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Charlie,

A really huge spoiler like that isn't welcome in this thread. Edit plz, or put in white.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. WTF were you thinking. This should be the single most ban worthy offense in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, a spoiler tag should probably just be put on the thread title. If we're going to discuss movies here, we will probably want to discuss spoiler worthy material. I'm guessing this discussion has probably happened multiple times before.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 AM

daryn,

I will def check this out!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 AM

I just saw it. Loved it. As others have said it's definitely an emotional flick. Highly recommended
Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

cbloom, where'd you hear it was a huge distortion? It seemed like it was pretty true to the actual events. The creators were lucky that this movie sort of fell in their lap near the beginning so they were able to catch so much of it on film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donkey Kong is one of my favorite video games ever so I've been following this film avidly. I've yet to see it though since it isn't playing anywhere near me.

First of all, read up a bit on Billy Mitchell, and you'll see he's far from being the [censored] everyone is making him out to be. The movie is told from a very distorted view. I can't say I blame them, as it seems in a documentary you often have to create a story where one isn't.

link for more info(INCLUDES SPOILER)

As for the story falling into their laps, wasn't this documentary created by friends of Wiebe's?

*spoiler in white*

<font color="white"> I think the coolest thing about Mitchell rebreaking the record is that he killed off his final two lives well before the kill screen after only passing Wiebe by 1000 points just to keep it close. </font>
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 AM

MR AWESOME!!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Donkey Kong is one of my favorite video games ever so I've been following this film avidly. I've yet to see it though since it isn't playing anywhere near me.

First of all, read up a bit on Billy Mitchell, and you'll see he's far from being the [censored] everyone is making him out to be. The movie is told from a very distorted view. I can't say I blame them, as it seems in a documentary you often have to create a story where one isn't.

link for more info

As for the story falling into their laps, wasn't this documentary created by friends of Wiebe's?

[/ QUOTE ]
I read a review by a gamer who knew both people and felt like the movie was a good portrayal of both characters' personalities. But, he felt like the story telling itself was untruthful. I just kind of skimmed the review, but it didn't seem like there weren't as many plot elements he took issue with, but rather that there were a bunch of voice overs, things taken out of context, and footage left on the cutting room floor. I'll have to dig that up later.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, and I went into it almost completely oblivious to the world of competitive gaming. This is why I want to see it again after I've heard so much more about it.

I think yes, you could have made another film where Steve isn't so much the hero, and that Billy isn't such a huge douche, but I really think there is enough there for the audience to make a good judgement of what these people are really like.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

cbloom, where'd you hear it was a huge distortion? It seemed like it was pretty true to the actual events. The creators were lucky that this movie sort of fell in their lap near the beginning so they were able to catch so much of it on film.

[/ QUOTE ]

*spoiler in white*

<font color="white"> I think the coolest thing about Mitchell rebreaking the record is that he killed off his final two lives well before the kill screen after only passing Wiebe by 1000 points just to keep it close. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Response to spoiler:

<font color="white"> How did you know he was well before the kill screen? If the next screen is the kill screen, thats how he can maximize his score, since he can't do anything there.</font>
Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't CDS use his inside info to post a huge spoiler in another thread (Lost maybe?) and then spent like 50 posts trying to claim it wasn't even a spoiler, much less a massive one? If that was someone else, sorry, but there should be a "two strikes and you're out" rule wrt things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, which is why he is the only person I have on ignore.

I'm also hurt he stole my boy Timmah's "spoiler king" title. Timmah's spoilers are much better.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*spoiler in white*

[/ QUOTE ]

Response to spoiler:

<font color="white"> How did you know he was well before the kill screen? If the next screen is the kill screen, thats how he can maximize his score, since he can't do anything there.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Response to response:

<font color="white"> Mitchell broke the record in public. In the write-up about his record-breaking game it says he killed off the game at level 21-1, which if you know how DK levels are numbered means he killed it off with a full 5 screens more that he could have played before the kill screen. Meaning probably 50-75k more points he could have hypothetically scored. </font>