Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: College Coaches in the Hot Seat

[ QUOTE ]
these things are starting to pile up on Weis

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I saw that earlier. I know ND faithful will just write it off as another guy who left because he won't play anymore and blah, blah, blah but there is something wrong with your program if every benched player starts to transfer. What is this now, the 4th one?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 PM

ND is 119th out of 120 in scoring (11.4) and yds/game (224.3).

Thank goodness for Florida International. Maybe ND can schedule them next year.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
these things are starting to pile up on Weis

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I saw that earlier. I know ND faithful will just write it off as another guy who left because he won't play anymore and blah, blah, blah but there is something wrong with your program if every benched player starts to transfer. What is this now, the 4th one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you, there are no players leaving the Glorious Charlie Weis Regime. There are NO PLAYERS LEAVING. Never! They are not even thinking about leaving! This is an illusion! The Infidel Willingham has BRIBED and TRICKED the gullible members of your stooge media into printing these vicious lies!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ty Willingham (Washington): I can't add much to whatever has been said. After Oregon hands UW its heads next week, the Huskies will be 2-5. That will make Willingham 9-21 at UW. They have winnable games against Stanford and Arizona but very likely losses on the road at Oregon State and Hawaii and to Cal. The Apple Cup is always a toss-up. 5-8 looks like about the best he can do. UW should fire him but who knows what they'll do.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they shouldn't fire him for 5-8. With this schedule compared to last years it would still be an improvement. He has them on the right track.

I only projected them for 5 wins preseason. There are no 'gimmes' left on their schedule.

He's about 2 years away from being hot seated. Anyone who thinks he should be gone really hasn't watched much husky football or remembers what it was like when he took it over.

b
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that Bill is going to get the axe. Not that NE is my favorite team, but I still don't mind seeing them do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the extension they just gave him? Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

They just fired the man responsible for giving him the extension. It doesn't take a fortune teller to see whats coming next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stand pat and wait another year.

While I think it is not out of the question that Callahan could get fired by the end of the year despite the extension, I think it might be tempting for the program to just go "Ok, we got our message across" and give Callahan a final chance to get it straight.

I just don't see a program like Nebraska doing something "drastic" (like firing the AD and head coach in the same year) when the program thrived on stability (like running the option for over 30 years, or having their previous two coaches handpicked by their predecessor). Some programs just won't do that, even if it appears it's the correct choice.

I'm not so sure a program like Nebraska wants clean house and go through another from-the-ground-up rebuilding process. Would their fans/boosters accept another few years wallowing around in mediocrity?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 AM

FWIW, Doba should be at the very top of the fired coaches list. From 2001-2003, WSU had at least 10 wins every season and was one of the premiere programs in the country. 2003 was the first year of the Doba regime when he still had a full team of Price recruits. Since 2003, WSU hasn't made a bowl and are passing Stanford for the title of worst team in the Pac-Ten. Last week, they trailed Oregon 40-0 at the half. Honestly, the fact that he's gotten this long is an absolute joke.

On the other side of the coin, I think everyone calling for Chan Gailey's head should mellow out a little bit. He's been bringing a lot of good recruits to Atlanta and last year's Coastal division title was a legitimate step forward. The only thing that's been holding him back is not finding a QB that can produce consistently. At least give him a couple years to see how Nesbitt develops. If he reaches his potential, the Jackets could win multiple ACC titles.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure a program like Nebraska wants clean house and go through another from-the-ground-up rebuilding process. Would their fans/boosters accept another few years wallowing around in mediocrity?

[/ QUOTE ]
There isn't any way that Callahan stays for a few years if he continues this trend. I think that even till the end of this year is highly debatable. He'd have to win out or something along those lines. I think NE will lose the rest of their games from here on out...CO seems like the only chance we have to win, and even that is a stretch. Fans are pissed and rightly so- there has been minimal improvement, if any, compared to Solich's team. Mediocre sounds like a step up from what they are currently.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The hate for Willingham that I see on this board baffles me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obvious domer-denial. They're the main ones that hate him. Of course that extends to their love of a coach who's done absolutely nothing with the team so far. Other than getting ND to 2 BCS games they didn't deserve to go to. But then they also deny that those were Ty's guys that got them there. They might want to change their name to Notre Dame school for the blind.

The ducks game oughtta be good. Well, until the 3rd quarter. I think I'll take a walk around the stadium for those 20 mins. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ducks should be on upset watch.

b
Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 AM

ok...so Nebraska has Turner Gill waiting out there

is that really an improvement?

They got their slam dunk hire with Callahan. I'm thinking Big Red is just suffering the changes to the college environment.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 AM

Slam dunk pick for Nebraska: Paul Johnson from Navy. He's made the Middies a consistent lower tier Bowl winner despite obvious recruiting difficulties inherent to coaching at a Service Academy. His teams are well disciplined and have terrific execution. Oh yeah, and I bet Nebraska fans would love to see the option come back, even though PJ has a diverse enough background not to rely on one offensive system (he was an offensive coordinator some years ago at Hawaii when they were putting up huge numbers).

Side Note: Who here on 2+2 mourns for Frank Solich? I sure do.