Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Rank \'em CFB week 6

[ QUOTE ]

YPC: FLO- 4.9 LSU- 4.8
YPP: FLO- 6.1 LSU- 5.1

[/ QUOTE ]

I see that in the team stats, ESPN has the wrong number listed, but LSU actually did average a yard less per pass play. And the whole reason LSU "controlled the clock" is because they converted 5/5 4th downs. If you don't think there's at least a little luck involved in that, you're insane.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Things that shock me:
Florida, while losing, pretty much outplayed the #1 team in the country (if not, certainly on the same level).

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't understand this comment.

LSU won the TOP 35:52 to 24:08--that isn't close and they also had more total yards in this game. If you remember LSU's kicker missed two very makable FG's, if he didn't suck last night this game is a 10 point victory 34-24 and the end of the game isn't as nail-biting as it was.

Florida played great but let's not get carried away by saying they outplayed anyone. LSU played better and they won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. It's hard to say you outplayed anyone when you give up three crucial fourth-down conversions and a bad-judgement INT late in the 4th quarter.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM
 is offline

OMG, I knew this thread would suck. Why is USF ranked so much higher than Illinois when they're basically the same teams? Both are riding lucky breaks all year, both are fragile, and both will disappear from the rankings as soon as the lucky breaks stop and someone blows their doors off...
Old 10-07-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LSU won because they converted 5 fourth downs and because they won the turnover battle. Florida had more yards per rush and more yards per pass. "Outplayed" might be a little strong, but they definitely gave a very good showing in the Bayou, and it's enough that you'd almost expect them to win a rematch at a neutral site after their young team has another 2 months to gel. If I were an LSU fan, I'd be rooting hard for South Carolina when they play the Gators.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're pitting the UF team from two months in the future against today's LSU team?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM

South Carolina 12th!!! in the Coach's Poll? wtf!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG, I knew this thread would suck. Why is USF ranked so much higher than Illinois when they're basically the same teams? Both are riding lucky breaks all year, both are fragile, and both will disappear from the rankings as soon as the lucky breaks stop and someone blows their doors off...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because USF went 2-0 against the two Top 20 teams they played and Illinois went 1-1 against theirs? It's like asking why LSU's ahead of Oklahoma.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LSU won because they converted 5 fourth downs and because they won the turnover battle. Florida had more yards per rush and more yards per pass. "Outplayed" might be a little strong, but they definitely gave a very good showing in the Bayou, and it's enough that you'd almost expect them to win a rematch at a neutral site after their young team has another 2 months to gel. If I were an LSU fan, I'd be rooting hard for South Carolina when they play the Gators.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're pitting the UF team from two months in the future against today's LSU team?

[/ QUOTE ]

LSU had an experienced team coming into the year. They had 8 starters back on a defense that was widely considered the best in the country to start the season. Florida had 2 starters back on defense this year. They're starting freshmen or sophomores at 6 positions and are likely to improve a lot more from October to December than the Tigers are.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because USF went 2-0 against the two Top 20 teams they played and Illinois went 1-1 against theirs? It's like asking why LSU's ahead of Oklahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

LSU & Oklahoma are legit teams with the talent to overcome bad breaks and win a game. Illinois and USF are not. USF reminds me of Clemson several years ago when that team was ranked top 5 after a few early-season wins only to take ass-whippings from legit ball clubs thereafter...
Old 10-07-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
South Carolina 12th!!! in the Coach's Poll? wtf!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Key word=Coaches

Everyone knows Spurrier is not popular among his peers.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Woot #2. Damn you Florida.