FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: russia is shutting down allofmp3 to join the world trade organizat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with all your sentiments regarding DRM, however:

[ QUOTE ]

Information wants to be free, and music is just information.

[/ QUOTE ]

as I've said before, I think musicians should get paid for what they do. I am saying this as someone who has worked as a professional musician for almost 15 years. I personally don't have a problem giving away music I make, and neither do many other musicians, however I very strongly believe it should be up to me to make that choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it should be up to the consumer, not the creator of that information to decide if it is worth any amount of money.

I personally have no problem going to concerts and supporting an artist that way, but I will not, ever, buy another CD put out by the big 5 recording studios.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kipin change 'information' to 'Frosted Flakes' and 'big 5 recording studios' to 'supermarkets' to hear how odd your argument sounds

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds odd because frosted flakes are not information.

Information flows like water wanting to reach everyone in its path.

The easiest way for this to be achieved is to make the information free. Hence "information wants to be free".
Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without money or some form of trade, there would be no music

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false.

People have been creating since the dawn of humanity.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:32 PM

i have used rhapsody, napster, yahoo music, and mtv urge. rhapsody is the best by far, and i don't have any issues similar to what ribsauce described. it is so much better when paired with the e200r player though. microsoft developed playsforsure drm, it's used exclusively on every site i listed above except rhapsody which supports it as well as their own helix drm (w/the e200r). microsoft doesn't use playsforsure on the zune even though it's their own device and their own drm. how telling is that? it's pretty incredible that they expect everyone else to continue using it.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:32 PM

Well, then let's substitute Coca-Cola for Frosted Flakes. Coca-Cola definitely flows like water.

Edit: Kipin, your words are some of the biggest, most steaming [censored] that I've ever read on this site.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, then let's substitute Coca-Cola for Frosted Flakes. Coca-Cola definitely flows like water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kipin, if everyone in the world downloaded music for free without paying for it, what do you think would be the effect on how much music gets produced?

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

prediction for this thread:

everyone gives kipin ridiculously unrelated analogies as to why he shouldnt "steal" music. "ZOMG WOULD YOU STEAL A PORSCHE"? might be a good example. i agree with kipin here 100%. music is information. our government siding with giant labels is retarded. none of their citizens want it. analogies dont work here because music is different than each material object because its variable cost is exactly 0.

rj
Old 11-29-2006, 03:34 PM

So if the fridge is too expensive for you, you can rationalize stealing it?

I see your point and a music company does need to price their products so that consumers will get a good value. If they are not doing this right now, then they are making less money then they could. They need to change their pricing and the types of products they offer. That is what is happening in the music industry right now. But please don't make yourself out to be some kind of hero or righteous man for stealing music.

Are you so entitled to have everything that you want to have that it is OK to steal rather than just do without the things you can't afford.

[ QUOTE ]
Kipin, if everyone in the world downloaded music for free without paying for it, what do you think would be the effect on how much music gets produced?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would decrease, but people would still create.

The quality of music may even increase because you lose the people who are only in it for the money.

Humans love to create, with or without the backing of a financial reward system.

[ QUOTE ]
music is different than each material object because its variable cost is exactly 0

[/ QUOTE ]

people charge more than cost for material objects because of the work that went into developing them.

i don't see how that is different from music, you're just gayly abstracting it because it's not something you can hold in your hand.