Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: The Liberal Paradox

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, it's true under the scenario that they are in a relationship and in love, which is pretty much assumed from the scenario. Being in a relationship means making decisions that are the best for both parties combined rather than making decisions for yourself alone. Obviously, if Bob doesn't love Alice, he won't care what she wants and won't go, but that makes the whole analogy even dumber than it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a very last attempt to get through to you. If what you assume would be the case this would ldo be reflected in bob's preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. The scenario you listed had Bob rank going together as higher than neither going. WTF is so hard for you to understand about this? People in relationships make sacrifices to make each other happy and maximize the happiness of everyone involved. In this case, going together is the situation that involves the least amount of sacrifice and the most happiness, so it's the solution that will obviously be chosen.

Then again, I'm assuming they have a relationship that is at least somewhat healthy. Many relationships are not even remotely healthy, so it could well be one of those.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP did not specify Alice is a crazy insecure bitch with self esteem issues because Daddy molested her and mommy never thought she was thin enough .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is. The scenario you listed had Bob rank going together as higher than neither going. WTF is so hard for you to understand about this? People in relationships make sacrifices to make each other happy and maximize the happiness of everyone involved. In this case, going together is the situation that involves the least amount of sacrifice and the most happiness, so it's the solution that will obviously be chosen.

Then again, I'm assuming they have a relationship that is at least somewhat healthy. Many relationships are not even remotely healthy, so it could well be one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

ur wrong regarding the scenario in op's link and i'm too tired to care anymore - this is not about f'ing relationships anyways lol
Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 AM

since you are such a giant nit, here's what the preferences really are:

bob: alice go alone > we go together > neither of us go > I go alone > I trick Alice to go alone even though she does not want to

alice: we go together > neither of us go > I go alone > bob goes alone > bob promises to go with me and then doesn't show up, or he forces me to go alone in some other way

This is not only true because they are in a relationship. Screwing people over is bad strategy for pretty much all interaction.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 AM

During my economics undergrad I had a class with a guy called Dr Jonathan Cave who worked with Sen before he won a nobel prize and he said that Sen was a moron FWIW.