Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: How did you propose?

Ok, here's how I did it.

We went out to dinner, and then a club. While we were out I had one of her co-workers set up her house so that when she opened the garage there was a trail of foil heart shaped balloons . . .

On each one was a note telling her why I love her. The trail led to her front door where I was waiting on bended knee with the ring. She was so confused by the whole thing it took several seconds to say, "Of course. Of course I'll marry you!"

I took her parents out on Monday to ask for their blessing. This is the second marriage for both of us, but I thought it was the right thing to do. It ended up being a great night with the three of us talking and getting to know eachother better.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 PM

congrats!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Asked for her parents permission on Xmas eve they obliged of course. We had been dating 4 years plus at that point. Christmas Day, i took her back to our appartment and gave her her present which was a nice new pair of boots she wanted. She opened the box, saw no boots, kept digging and found a smaller box. Inside of that box was wrapping paper and the box for the ring. She loved it.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 AM

suited,

congrats, best of luck to you. My advice for your marriage is this. Learn these 6 simple words and you can never fail as a husband.

You're right,

I'm wrong,

I'm sorry.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 PM

In Vegas, baby. Vegas.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And btw, I did ask for her fathers' blessing out of respect, but I don't necessarily believe everyone has to, every family is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I didn't ask my wife's father's permission, simply because of the relationship dynamics between the parties. Her father seriously screwed up his marriage with my wife's mom, and the relationship had been rocky for some time (amicable, but rocky). It would have been weird. I DID let her mom know that I was going to propose, which I think she appreciated.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM

I ordered my wife's ring online when that sort of thing wasn't quite as common as it is now. There were a few hiccups along the way (diamond I ordered became unavailable twice), but a manager took it upon himself to track down what I wanted and gave me a discount. Thus, the ring got to me later than I wanted. I wanted to propose BEFORE Valentine's Day, as I didn't want to be TOO cliche, but the ring was shipped overnight on V-Day, so it wasn't to be.

My wife (girlfriend at the time, obviously) and I went out to a very nice V-Day dinner at a ritzy restaurant, which is not the kind of place we typically go. Even though we had reservations, it still took an hour to be seated. In the meantime, the restaurant gave us all the champagne and sushi we wanted for free.

My wife got a bit tipsy on the bubbly and started patting me down to see if I had a ring on me. At the table, she said that if it was a money issue, she'd buy our furniture from me (I owned it all before she moved in) and I could use the money to buy a ring. Hell, it could be cubic zirconium for all she cared. BTW, we had been together a few years already, so that, combined with the alcohol made her antsy that night. It sounds bad, but it was pretty funny, actually, especially because a) we both knew we'd be getting married at some point, and b) I knew the ring was on the way.

Elton John had been in front of us in line at the maitre d' podium, so it was easy to get my wife off the engagement subject - I just mentioned Elton and she started looking around for him.

The next day, the ring arrived in the late afternoon, maybe 20 minutes before my wife arrived home from work (I was unemployed at the time - I like to say that I waited until then to propose so I could be sure she wasn't with me for my money). I rushed into the bathroom to open the box -- if she came home, I could lock the door. I didn't know how I was going to propose, but I wanted to involve our dog.

I was going to put the ring on the dog's collar, but she had the tendency to chew her tags, so I didn't like that idea. Of course, I came up with the brilliant plan to hide the ring in one of my dog's toys. It was a new plush toy that she had just ripped into, and while I was still risking a search through dog poo for the ring, I knew my dog didn't actually ever eat the stuffing. She just liked to rip it out. So, my plan was to make sure she played with the toy and then just keep an eye on her progress.

Sure enough, my wife came home and we were watching TV when the dog started pulling the stuffing out of the toy. I saw the ring start to come out, so I got down on the floor and said, "Look what Tippy found!"

I then spun around on my knee and pretty much shoved the ring in my wife's face, almost forgetting to actually propose. I wasn't nervous at all until that very moment, which is probably why I was a bit goofy with the whole process.

She said yes, cried, and we went to Fuddrucker's to celebrate, since we had already done the big dinner the night before.

The end.