Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

I like Dave Matthews Band.

Regarding their rating they've always been considered a college 'niche' band as far as I know, so I'd say they're rated just about where they ought to be.

Also, everybody knows (knew, I'm too old now) a Dave Matthews Band concert is to hot chicks as a donut convention is to cops.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:36 PM

I disagree with about 90% of this thread. I do like Waits more than Dylan, although I wouldn't call Dylan overrated.

It all comes down to taste, really. Coldplay is just elevator music to me, but I'll listen to Arcade Fire 24 hours a day.

Whoever said Radiohead, lol. They managed to bring more experimental sounds to radio and bumped the quality of radio-friendly music up about 87%. They were able to shift gears mid-way through their careers very successfully, and everything they've done has been sheer beauty.

I nominate Oasis. Horribly whiny, music isn't very interesting, yet they're strangely popular, even years after breaking up.

Ooh, and Gwen Stefani and Nelly Furtado. "I'm like a bird" makes me want to claw my eyeballs out.

I've heard DMB are talented musicians, but I've never been able to listen to more than 30 seconds of any song they've done, so I couldn't say.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:37 PM

and how about the under-rated 1's...that just have the beat on? Gui Boratto-Chromophobia-Beatiful Life...Closer Musik-After Love-You Do Not Know Me...Autechre-Draft-Surripere... to name a few
Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The entire genre of Blues.

I think it if funny that so many people defend the blues, saying that they are the most talented people to ever play a guitar. I always ask two questions: "have you ever listened to three consecutive blues albums in a row?" and "can you name me ten blues artists." Oh, and seeing that they are losing their argument because they don't know what they are talking about, they continue on and say that Rock and Roll would not exist. Look at Eric Clapton (not knowing that "Tears in Heaven" is classically based, and he also has a book on classical out.), Jimmy Hendrix (yes, he loved the blues, but his style was highly influenced by gypsie music, if they can't see the connection, and country, which is not blues), and Jimmy Page (he discovered blues later in life).

Yes, there is not doubt that there is some influence in blues, and yes, some good music, but the genre in itself is repetitive and boring at worst, and great for live performance at best, with it's improvisation and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hilarious that you try use Clapton to make your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the blues is all about improvisation, and live performances.

What was the over-rated part?

Clapton, BB King, Freddie King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Robert Randolph, Muddy Waters, George Thorogood, Robert Johnson, Albert King, Gary Moore, Robert Cray, Derek Trucks

I think that was at least 10.

Err, and maybe you havn't heard Clapton when he was with the Bluesbreakers or Cream...Or his latest tour of Robert Johnson material. Tears in Heaven is not actually his only song.

Anywhooooo, point proven, case over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elmore James, Nick Moss, Albert Cummings, Albert Colins, BB King, Freddie King, Aretha Franklin, Joe Beard, Jimmy Witherspoon, Big Jack Johnson, Otis Spann, Otis Rush, James Cotton, Sonny Boy Williamson, the Allman Brothers, and that's just off the top of my head of albums I own. I could name more if I checked my playlist or named off the a large number of local bands, three of whom I went out to hear just last night.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Hell, if I wanted to be controversial, I could put Miles Davis on that list. Sure, he's not 100% blues, but Footprints is just one example of Miles playing the blues.

Needless to say, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] blues.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Dave Matthews Band.

Regarding their rating they've always been considered a college 'niche' band as far as I know, so I'd say they're rated just about where they ought to be.

Also, everybody knows (knew, I'm too old now) a Dave Matthews Band concert is to hot chicks as a donut convention is to cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder!!!!!!!!! I was wondering why every friggin' time I go to their concert, I get older, and everyone else stays the same age.

Best part about those concerts is you get to watch underaged kids get busted and see the upset (almost to tears) look on their faces when the cops come over and dump their beers. Then you watch as they beg every person near them for more beers. Good times, good times...
Old 07-15-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for a musician I think is over-rated..I give you Kurt Cobain!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously??? This guy started an entire genre (alternative rock) and jump started the whole grunge rock scene. He also was one of the hardest working musicians in the business.

Man, these are bad examples.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kurt wasnt in the Pixies
Old 07-15-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for a musician I think is over-rated..I give you Kurt Cobain!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously??? This guy started an entire genre (alternative rock) and jump started the whole grunge rock scene. He also was one of the hardest working musicians in the business.

Man, these are bad examples.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kurt wasnt in the Pixies

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurt wasn't in the Melvins, either. He was a roadie for them, however.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM

I was disputing the common arguments against the kind of artists that are usually brought up. Also note that Eric Clapton seems to understand that a full blues album is not a good idea, as his albums tend to mix it up with blues and general rock and roll (yep, I am a fan)

What of Blind Wilie McTell, Bobby Bland (I actually like him), BB King, Willie McGee, Kenny Wayne Shepard (surprising he never made it with all the hard marketing behind him). Yep, I could rattle off more, and I don't have to look at my IPod to do it either (not that they are on it).

Since there are fans here, please explain it to me. Rather than tell me about history. Also, do either of you play music? And do you listen to it exclusively at home, or in a concert venue. I pointed out that I don't mind it so much for live performance.

I find the stuff very repetitive
Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree both on the Doors not deserving all the hate and on The Dave Matthews Band being decidedly uninteresting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this sentiment......