Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Clinton-Obama

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
she might not be likeable, but damnit she'll get [censored] done...)

[/ QUOTE ]

not trying to flame, but what has she got done?

[/ QUOTE ]

better yet, what would you want her to get done?

Her latest "kick" has been to suggest subsidizing foreclosure bailouts to those who decided to live beyond the means of their adjustable mortgage...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 PM

I think Hillary is the only contending Democrat who could lose the general election, including Edwards and Al Gore (please run, I don't care how late it is). A lot of people hate her on principle, other people think she's weak because of how she handled the philandering (maybe lame but true), other people think she's phony. Personally the third one is the only one that bothers me. Obama is more likable, more energetic, more genuine, more of a leader. The idea that Hillary is perceived as the one who "will get things done" is overrated. I realize these are mostly unsubstantiated opinions, I don't feel like writing an essay.

If Hillary wins, she would benefit from Obama on the ticket.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the last few posts. There is nothing gained by adding each other to the ticket, and if anything, it could create a more polarizing ticket.

I think the VP will be either Bill Richardson, who is very popular in the Southwest (key swing states) and among Hispanics (could win Florida), or John Edwards (due to popularity).

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the VP is selected after the primary nomination process is concluded, it seems to me that the winning Presidential candidate should select the VP candidate on the basis of these two simple attributes:
a) able to do a good job as VP
and
b) able to win extra votes

Assuming that Hilary wins the Presidential nomination, I don't envisage Obama being selected as the VP candidate because:
a) I suspect that Hilary's team do not think he would do a good job as VP. Obviously, this is a judgement of mine as an outside observer, but Dick Cheney, Al Gore (congress 1977 - 1992), George Bush (congress 1967-71, and then various executive positions) and even Dan Quayle (congress 1976 - 1988, although he was criticised at the time of the VP nomination for being inexperienced) all had greater "experience" before being selected for the role.

b) It's unclear what additional votes Obama would bring to the ticket that Hilary wouldn't already have a good shot at. In other words, there aren't a lot of Obama supporters, I imagine, who would rather vote Republican than vote for Hilary
Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but the democrats have absolutely zero chance of winning if either Hilary or Obama wins the nomination. Obama has a slightly better chance than Hilary but not by much. Either would make a good VP candidate.

Edwards and Gore are the only ones that have a chance IMO. Gore would be a guranteed victory for the democrats.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the republicans are in deep deep doo no matter who the dems pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

youd be very very wrong to think that.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

Change election favors Dems
Iraq-favors Dems
polling shows the american public favors Dems with a 10+ spread on virtually every single major political issue except for national security which they tie with Reps for.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Dems", maybe.

Hilary or Obama, not so much.

People may say one thing to pollsters, maybe because they don't want to publicly admit they wouldn't dream of voting for a black guy for President. But behind the curtain they'll follow their own compass.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the republicans are in deep deep doo no matter who the dems pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

youd be very very wrong to think that.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

Change election favors Dems
Iraq-favors Dems
polling shows the american public favors Dems with a 10+ spread on virtually every single major political issue except for national security which they tie with Reps for.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Dems", maybe.

Hilary or Obama, not so much.

People may say one thing to pollsters, maybe because they don't want to publicly admit they wouldn't dream of voting for a black guy for President. But behind the curtain they'll follow their own compass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Nixon's Southern Strategy, the people who weren't going to vote for a black guy weren't going to vote for a democrat anyway.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack this thread, but the democrats have absolutely zero chance of winning if either Hilary or Obama wins the nomination. Obama has a slightly better chance than Hilary but not by much. Either would make a good VP candidate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking the same thing for a long time and just can't believe nobody else agrees. The GOP is playing this one very well right now, letting the Dems tear each other apart while their own candidates are distancing themselves from the current administration and sticking to their meat-and-potatoes issues. The result is going to be that the GOP has a candidate who is going to seem relatively fresh after the primaries and have a chance to play the 'not-a-Washington-insider' card. Their nominee is also very likely to be a former state executive rather than a Senator, which is another recipe for success. I could see Huckabee, Giuliani, Romney, any one of those guys beating Hillary.

Current polls mean much less than you'd think. Hillary has the highest visibility and her party is on the upswing, it's no surprise she's sitting pretty right now. There's a lot of time left.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The GOP is playing this one very well right now, letting the Dems tear each other apart while their own candidates are distancing themselves from the current administration and sticking to their meat-and-potatoes issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, what? If by distancing themselves from this administration you mean seeing who can stake out the most militant foreign policy doctrine (leader in the club house is Rudy, though Romney's "double Guantanamo" theory is a nice touch) while bashing gays and immigrants the most, then I agree with you. That Ron Paul hasn't done these things is the major reason why centrist types have embraced him to the degree he has.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:07 AM

am i the only person looking for a gore/obama ticket?

i'm a democrat and i hate clinton... all she has is the novelty value of bill as the first male first lady (in my book at least).
Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
am i the only person looking for a gore/obama ticket?

i'm a democrat and i hate clinton... all she has is the novelty value of bill as the first male first lady (in my book at least).

[/ QUOTE ]

Earlier this year, I thought Gore might run. Now I don't think he will. The press treated him savagely when he ran in 2000, and I just think he's gotten used to being away from all that attention.