Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Schneids is in \"The Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think the Castillo trade means Ryan is giving up on the season?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, yes. You can't just "replace" a .300 hitter at the top of the order when your team's bats already fail to produce enough runs.

I don't mind the idea of trading Castillo for prospects, and trust the Twins' judgment on them since we've always had a strong farm system.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the Twins could only keep 2 which of these 4 do you pick?

Santana
Hunter
Mauer
Morneau

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, too tough.

I guess I'll go with Santana and Morneau. But damn what a tough choice. I think Morneau gets the edge because of his power... Who knows if Mauer will ever materialize into a legit power hitter; it seems more likely Morneau turns into a .320/45 kind of guy then it is Mauer makes up for his lack of power with too many additional base hits (We figure some of Mauer's better hitting seasons will be in the .340-.360 range?)
Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Schneids,

Curious what you think about the status of "big" limit games online these days. Do you think there will ever be sufficient demand for regular "nosebleed" limit games? i.e 2k/4k+

[/ QUOTE ]

I was worried for awhile, but I think they'll be fine now. If America ever totally legalizes internet poker, I think we could begin to regularly maybe see a few 500/1000 games... However, I don't think the games will ever approach the size of the big NL games; mainly because most of the limit guys realize that they really have no edge, and it's too tough to run up a huge BR in lhe.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 AM

What is the biggest thing that seperates the good high stakes players from the good mid stakes players?

What is the best image to have in most 6 max online games? What about live fullring?

How important is it to give action on marginal made hands that might not warrant it in a vacuum, in order to increase value on your semibluffs or get people to give you more action in future? How hard is it to not go overboard with this idea?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-What should I have for a late dinner? The choices are corned beef sammich, frozen pizza, or spaghetti-O's. Also, should I go grocery shopping tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

frozen pizzas; and if those are your food choices, then yes, you should go grocery shopping tomorrow... I hope you get some velveeta shells and cheese.

[ QUOTE ]
-If someone held a gun to your head and forced you to name the one, and only one, quality that every good poker player should possess, what would your answer be?

[/ QUOTE ]

mental discipline

[ QUOTE ]
-Short-handed mid-high online game, say a 6max table playing 5-handed. You open from the CO and a good sLAG 3bets OTB. What is your capping range? Assume that he knows who you are & your general playing style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many hands. QQ and JJ probably every time, otherwise, any other hand is sometimes capped and sometimes called.

[ QUOTE ]
-If you could start from scratch & do it all over again, poker-wise, what (if anything) would you do differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

learn NL; more aggressively move up limits (I spent waaaaay too long playing 10/20 6m)
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you like the U?

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved the U and I love almost everything about the Twin Cities area. My only U complaint is some of the classes were too large and teachers too distant -- though the journalism program was overall very good.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you complete your degree? (what was it?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, in journalism. I was also majoring in math, but dropped that a few classes before completing it. I went through 4 calcs and a few other math classes after that, and simply didn't have the motivation to finish it since by that time poker was much more in my life and I knew I had more interest in journalism, anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
How much poker did you play online/ how often did you go to CP while you were in school?

[/ QUOTE ]

While in school, I played about 7-12 hrs a week online... And made a trip or two a month to Canterbury.

[ QUOTE ]
Any other comments about the U?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gorgeous girls everywhere... Also, Duffy's Pizza is kinda back in the corner out of the way, but def my fav pizza on campus... and big 10 subs are something I miss not being near anymore.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. can you post an interesting hand and talk us through your thought process?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is one from earlier today, which I also think shows one of the main difference between a good mid stakes vs a good high stakes player:

aXeroX: posts small blind $100
PapaWarbucks: posts big blind $200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to PapaWarbucks [7h 9s]
nimag: folds
aXeroX: raises $200 to $400
PapaWarbucks: calls $200
*** FLOP *** [Ks 6h 6d]
aXeroX: bets $200
PapaWarbucks: calls $200
*** TURN *** [Ks 6h 6d] [Jc]
aXeroX: bets $400
PapaWarbucks: raises $400 to $800
aXeroX: folds
PapaWarbucks collected $1998 from pot
PapaWarbucks: doesn't show hand

The things with this hand were:
1) I felt pretty sure that he was going to continuation bet any turn, with or without a hand. In smaller games, it is much more often the case that people only bet this turn again if they in fact have a hand. The way how he was running, and observing prior hands he played, were both factors that made me feel very confident he could be betting this turn with intent on folding if raised. My own image was one that had been doing a lot of slowplaying and waiting till turns to raise with the goods, and I hadn't shown down any bluffs yet. So putting all that together, made it a prime time for me to float the flop with the intent of stealing on the turn. This type of hand is something that a good mid stakes player simply doesn't do.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 AM

I try this at a 1-2 game and I lose to QT high after the river goes cc
Old 07-31-2007, 01:47 AM

Thanks for doing this Schneids, this thread made my night.

Continuing with my questions having nothing to do about poker here are a few more... I hope you don't mind answering these.

1) If I pass you at CP and say hello will you say hello back next time? lol

2) Did you live on campus? Where?

3) Can you speak a foreign language?

4) T'Wolves fan? What do you think of the Garnett trade?

5) Anyone you want the Twins to get rid of? All I need to do is go get thier autograph. As is demonstrated by my Ortiz, Pierzinski, Mientkiewicz, Koskie, Guardado, Milton and Guzman autographs.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:01 AM

Do you have a link to any of the 60k in 60 days? I remember reading that when I was starting out and thinking to myself "no way I ever play as big as 10/20".

On a more serious tip, as best you can, please describe the process, for lack of a better word, of taking a shot in such a way as to make the experience both valuable and not BR crippling.
Closed Thread