Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: The middle class cannot survive the death of monogamy

I really love the Denny's Meat Lovers Skillet, however, after checking their website for photos, it looks like all the Skillets are GONE, replaced by Scrambles which don't look nearly as good.

I guess it's been a while since I've been to Denny's but WTF?!?! WTF?!?!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How has my "New York Hot Pepper and Buffalo Sauce Cheddar" not gotten any love? Anyone tried it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just last week discovered Buffalo Cheddar when my deli (well, the counter at Harris Teeter) ran out of pepper jack. I'll never go back, it was fantastic. You're in for a treat.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, some times I like to hold two opposing magnets together and think that I'm torturing them by forcing them to do something that they are so opposed to. It makes me feel powerful. Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee I am going to think about this the next time I have two magnets.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Trey,

I was hoping for a provacative OP. Instead I got a pseudo-Marxist icebreaker.

Yours,
Disappointed in Des Moines
Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 PM

I prefer scrambles, especially when they are served over good hashbrowns. Omelettes can get overly 'eggy' if the ingredients aren't properly dispersed.

Damn I am hungry now.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had mushrooms the other day and wasn't a big fan , I do enjoy some hot peppers though.

Anyone ever have a Lox and Onion omelet I love lox and onions but together in an omelet just doesn't taste right IMO anyone disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it would be terrible, or great, but most likely terrible. I was surprised twice -- it was mediocre.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:17 PM

I dont even know how to make an omelet...

google time
Old 06-18-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you guys stand in the omelet vs. scramble debate?

I used to love a good Denver Omelet, but now I'm finding myself preferring scrambles. You still get the egg, but it's not in a boring pancake shape, just all mixed in with larger portions of sausage, peppers, and onions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Dids on omelette here. Scrambles have a much better chance of being overcooked/dry or water, too, it seems. A good omelette just seems to do the best job with an egg.

Exception: melting cream cheese into the egg itself, then scrambling. This is fantastic.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exception: melting cream cheese into the egg itself, then scrambling. This is fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of this, it doesn't burn the cheese at all? How much cheese do you add? I might try this pretty quick.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 PM

I prefer scramble to omelette. The key is too cook the scramble very, very slowly. Here's a post I made in this EDF Thread (Staple Dishes: Eggs):

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that in general, eggs need to be cooked slowly over very low heat. anytime I am in a hurry and cook them over high heat they turn out dry and bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT - overcooked eggs (especially a scramble) are almost inedible to me.

Here's a good Slow-Cooked Scrambled Eggs recipe

I like doing scrambled egg with goat cheese and chives. Apparently adding a bottle cap of vermouth (it's a Greek thing I was told?) during whisking is tasty. I've done the cream cheese thing - it is good.

Oh and a good tip is to take the eggs off the burner slightly before finished - they will continue to cook for a bit.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of this, it doesn't burn the cheese at all? How much cheese do you add? I might try this pretty quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

About a quarter of one of those smallish rectangles you get in the store, the standard Philly, for four to six eggs.

Melt a tablespoon or so of butter in a small saucepan over low heat, making sure it doesn't brown. Make whatever kind of smudgy dice you can out of the cream cheese, so it can melt faster. Stir in a bit at a time, letting it soften and melt into the butter before adding more. It helps to tilt the saucepan up on its edge, to keep the heat going but very manageable and not thinning out the butter/cheese mixture enough to either brown the butter or make it harder to melt the next bits. (Submerging the chunks helps.) This is much easier on a gas stovetop.

When the last chunks of cream cheese are dissolved, add your pre-stirred eggs and stir thoroughly into the mix. Your eggs don't need any milk or water or whatever in them, because there is plenty of moisture in the butter/cheese. You can turn up the heat a little now if you like, and let the saucepan level.

Also goes well with caramelized onions or chives. You can also do this with other cheeses, but cream cheese is the easiest. And, a splash of beer, especially dark beer, is pretty good here too.

Just make sure the butter doesn't brown.