FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Re: ***Election Day Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Article deleted for copyright reasons

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

This falls under fair use. I didn't quote either article in full. Bloggers do this every day?

Also, you deleted my second link:

The ACORN Indictments
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM

2+2 has a stricter policy than what is legally required. They are book publishers after all. I accidentally deleted your 2nd link, feel free to post that again.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:25 PM

I just moved into Hastert's district. I will do my best to see that this happens.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 PM

Sorry. I was unaware that 2p2 policy is more stringent than the law requires.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:37 PM

I am very excited to vote against someone I truly despise. As a Virginian I hope to claim some part in the defeat of the unctuous, repulsive George Allen. Webb is running against him, and he is hardly ideal, but in this race that just doesn't matter.

I will cast a futile vote against Tom Davis, my Republican representative solely for his response to my inquiry about the internet gambling legislation. Meanwhile I am cheering for Bob Erlich, my favorite Republican, to win the governorship of Maryland.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 PM

Wow iron, you really do enjoy the politics thing. Good for you. Out of interest are you involved in politics in anyway apart from being a mod on this forum and a registered voter?

As for the election, i'm british so don't really have any say whatsover, but i'm rooting for the Dems, as are the rest of the outside world. I hope it works out for you.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Default How I voted

I voted Libertarian where there was a candidate. There were a suprising number. Where there was only a choice between a Democrat and Republican, I stayed GOP.

What is depressing to me is that in the TX State Governors race, there were two independant candidates. Between them, according to poles, they had about 50% of the vote. However, neither one of them held enough of that percentage to oust the stupifyingly incompetent GOP Governor, who never even had to get elected to get the office the first time. It's not a hard job, but somehow this polimonkey (switched parties from Dems to GOP) has managed to donk it up. I would love to see him gone, but Independants split the ticket so bad, I don't think it's going to happen. He'll wind up with a 39% mandate like someone else I recall.

OK, that's it. I voted. We'll know more in the morning.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: How I voted

[ QUOTE ]

I would love to see him gone, but Independants split the ticket so bad, I don't think it's going to happen. He'll wind up with a 39% mandate like someone else I recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always see if Arnold is willing to move to Texas. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Rural Voting

I love election day here in the sticks! (Granted, there are plenty of other times I wish I lived closer to civilization.) The fact that this is the first election my daughter was able to vote in added to my enjoyment.

She came home from school during study hall and we went as a family to our town hall, built in 1898, which was recently added to the National Historic register. The Girl thought it was closed because we couldn't see the one vehicle 'til we rounded the building.

The "election ladies", (there's always three of them, at least one of which who is a neighbor), were busy stoking the wood stove. The door still sticks halfway when you open it.

This is the first year in Wisconsin that we're required to register to vote and show ID*. All three of us registered today. I was number 114 voting there at about 12:30.

We had the choice to use the machine or paper ballots. All three of us chose paper. After completing our ballots behind the curtain, they were deposited into two locked wooden boxes, (one for the ballot, another for constitutional amendments), which the ladies will count when the polls close at 8:00 tonight.

After picking up Chinese for lunch, the Girl went back to school.

Oh, and the waiting is drivng me bonkers, and I really, really need to get some work done.

* Edit: Actually, we're not required to show ID:

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of confusion about what's required. State Elections Board Executive Director Kevin Kennedy explains the rules this way:

If you're already registered to vote, all you have to do is give poll workers your name and address. Poll workers may ask for your date of birth - it's a new request to update statewide voter lists. Then you should be given a ballot and allowed to vote.

A small number of previously registered voters may be asked to show identification: those who registered in advance by mail and did not include proof of residence, Kennedy said. But that does not have to be a photo ID.

If you're not registered, you will have to do two things to vote: fill out a form with your name, address, date of birth and driver's license number, state identification number or the last four digits of your Social Security number. You also must show proof of your name and address by showing a driver's license, property tax bill, utility bill or bank statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies for the error.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Rural Voting

Sadly, I learned last night that I hadn't changed the registration to my current address and it's too late [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I registered at this address last year before the mayoral election but it didn't go through I guess. A friend of mine is in the same boat as we registered together.

I live in Pittsburgh though and would be surprised if any candidate that is not a democrat even gets within 5 points in any race.