Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: OK then, what WAS the worst move ever by a baseball manager?

[ QUOTE ]
This is the most results oriented thread in the history of 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite confident that most of those who voted for Grady/Pedro were howling about the decision before the results were known.

The McNamara/Buckner one is probably very results oriented. Whenever someone insists they were questioning the decision before the result, I never believe them.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Collectively, can we include every time a manager in a big playoff game doesn't have his star closer warmed up and ready to go in a late, tight spot in a (tie game/down 1 run/before the 9th inning) because it's not a "save situation"?

Joe Torre might be the biggest offender in this category.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I find the opposite to be true: in the playoffs, managers feel that winning the game is more important that getting a save for the closer.

I wish they'd feel that way in the regular season. The abrupt change in strategy in the postseason really magnifies the ridiculousness of the regular season strategy.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:45 PM

Willie Randolph leaving Billy Wagner in Saturday after loading the bases, giving up 2 runs and throwing 6 straight balls way way way out of the strikezone. After hitting the batter promptly with the next pitch, he finally made the pitching change
Old 05-22-2006, 07:15 PM

Was it a save situation?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Collectively, can we include every time a manager in a big playoff game doesn't have his star closer warmed up and ready to go in a late, tight spot in a (tie game/down 1 run/before the 9th inning) because it's not a "save situation"?

Joe Torre might be the biggest offender in this category.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I find the opposite to be true: in the playoffs, managers feel that winning the game is more important that getting a save for the closer.

I wish they'd feel that way in the regular season. The abrupt change in strategy in the postseason really magnifies the ridiculousness of the regular season strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think managers figure it out when they're facing elimination (e.g. Mariano Rivera pitching the 9th-11th of the 2003 ALCS Game 7 with the score tied, Keith Foulke pitching the 7th-9th of the 2004 ALCS Game 4 with the Red Sox down a run). But there are plenty of other playoff games where managers have stupidly left their closers on the shelf.

I remember Rob Neyer had a column on ESPN a while ago savaging Joe Torre for repeatedly making this mistake; I'm pretty sure Dusty Baker has pulled it off a few times as well.