Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Skoob\'s guide to being a pro drunk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, my drink of choice is bourbon on the rocks, so I've

[/ QUOTE ]
What's your brand? I recently started drinking bourbon on the rocks as my staple (though, usually with a beer or two to go along). There is a fairly limited selection at the nearest bottle shops, but as a long-time Hunter S. Thompson fan, I'm not ashamed to drink Wild Turkey.

Any advice you can give on this important topic would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it depends how much you want to spend. Evan Williams is a tremendous value at about $20 for a handle. It's cheaper than Jack or Jim but better than either. I drank gallons of this stuff in college but now I try to go for something a little nicer.
These days days Maker's Mark is the cheapest thing I'll drink. Uneducated drinkers think this is a really good bourbon, but actually it's only passable compared to the good stuff. Maker's is the KQs of bourbon. Most of the time this is the nicest thing a bar will have, so get used to it.
I never cared for Wild Turkey (or WT 101), but I love Wild Turkey Rare Breed. You have to respect the talent of any distiller who can make whiskey at over 110 proof that's still smooth enough to drink straight (some bourbon connoisseurs will tell you that drinking it neat is the only acceptable way, but they are all *ssholes. They probably spit it out after tasting it anyway, unlike other activities they partake in). Delicious. Any of the Small Batch (TM) bourbons (the Knob Creek family) are good, except for Basil Hayden's. Woodford Reserve is decent but not worth the money. I rated Elijah Craig as highly as Knob Creek in a blind taste test and it is significantly cheaper.

That's about it for readily-available bourbon. Your liquor store will probably have a handful of other high-end bourbon s you may want to experiment with. I've heard fantastic things about Van Winkle, but I've never tried it, at least not that I can remember.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Skoob\'s guide to being a pro drunk

Higher-proof Old Crow bourbon is value for money.

[dunno if they still make it or if the regular brand is stil around however.]