Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I smoke weed
Agree 15 46.88%
Disagree 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: KG traded to Celtics for Jefferson/othercrap

I haven't read the Simmons article yet because well...he sucks. But do have some thoughts.

While the C's def become a whole lot better they don't suddenly become title contenders. They just traded their entire future for someone who can't win the big game. Yeah having the big three is nice but you can't seriously compete without competent players around them. Rondo is not ready to lead a team that has greatly improved this offseason. Perkins? And the bench is laughable at best. Huge pickup by Ainge to save his job for now but Bean Town is wetting itself a little too early.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM

if the celts can add dee brown or someone similar, i can see them placing top 4 in the east if they can avoid injuries, but their roster right now? terrible. perkins is barely worth having on your bench, he's a disaster as a starting center. rondo might be great eventually, but he was only okay last year and he's gonna be under a ton of pressure. i dunno, five years ago garnett, allen and pierce could have won the east by themselves, but today? they need help, and they don't have it.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the Simmons article yet because well...he sucks. But do have some thoughts.

While the C's def become a whole lot better they don't suddenly become title contenders. They just traded their entire future for someone who can't win the big game. Yeah having the big three is nice but you can't seriously compete without competent players around them. Rondo is not ready to lead a team that has greatly improved this offseason. Perkins? And the bench is laughable at best. Huge pickup by Ainge to save his job for now but Bean Town is wetting itself a little too early.

[/ QUOTE ]
Garnett doesnt have to win himself anymore, he has two clutch scores to lean on.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:32 PM

who gives a damn about the bench at this point. sign a guy like boykins/brevin knight, pj brown/chris webber (ring chasers at the end of their career), maybe a dee brown or eddie house, and you're set. i'd much rather have an A starting rotation + F bench than a D starting five + C bench. bench guys are interchangable, for the most part.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Garnett doesnt have to win himself anymore, he has two clutch scores to lean on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true but evidence shows that Ray Ray will decline this season especially coming off double ankle surgery. As a basketball fan I'm kind of interested to see the shot distrubution these 3 players have...they're all going to want touches. They definetly drastically improve but I think the notion that they became instant contenders with this move is far fetched.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the celts can add dee brown or someone similar, i can see them placing top 4 in the east if they can avoid injuries, but their roster right now? terrible. perkins is barely worth having on your bench, he's a disaster as a starting center. rondo might be great eventually, but he was only okay last year and he's gonna be under a ton of pressure. i dunno, five years ago garnett, allen and pierce could have won the east by themselves, but today? they need help, and they don't have it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its statements like this that make me realize that people have no idea how bad the East is.

Lebron and the Cavs got to the finals with....

Lebron

Big Z
A guy named Boobie
Larry "I am super overrated offensively" Hughes (basically Tony Allen who can score more)

Tell me why the C's couldnt just cruise to the finals? MIA (ok a legit contender but old as [censored])? Det?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 PM

yeah i don't see how anybody would think the celtics don't have the pieces to get there at this point.

i would love to see them sign earl boykins, i have no idea if it's possible or if they have the space, but i love that little bastard.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what free agent exceptions do the celts have? because they are way, way over the cap and have zero tradeable assets left, right? i don't see how they can win even the east right now. who is their starting center? do they have any guards behind allen and rondo?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't see how three superstars can win the East?

Let's see, two super superstars and a weak supporting cast can win a title.

So one super superstar and two stars can't win a title? I think the extra star more than makes up for it.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the notion that they became instant contenders with this move is far fetched.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding me? they aren't one of the 2 or 3 favorites to win the east? is that not a contender?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 PM

Amazing move the C's (in the short time), the are definitely contenders with KG. Will they be able to to go to the championship game who knows? Depends on if they add anyone else (improve their bench), and will Ray stay healthy?