Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: tilt explained (by neuroscience)

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, as I'm reading more and more, I'm realizing a lot of the terminology of my original post is wrong. The main idea is right though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree the main idea is right, however, lets remember that we're talking about only one of the forms of tilt - there are others. Also, we're only talking about when you know better, not about making a bad play because you thought it was right.

Don't forget about playing tired, or fatigued. Don't forget just plain bad judgment because your hungry, angry, or trying to "get back" at someone.

I've tilted a couple of times because some gal was basically showing me her boobs and all I wanted to do was massage them - very frustrating (married with a look, but don't touch policy).
Old 05-28-2007, 04:35 PM

yeah, there's plenty more types of tilt than that. But this is the sterotypical phil helmuth style tilt
Old 05-28-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on using Modafinil for alertness or long sessions?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like coffee, without the side effects or the need to force it down (if you don't like the taste of coffee, like me). It lasts a long time, is very mild, and won't affect your sleep as long as you don't take it close to bedtime.

In my experience, it's not strong enough to reverse tiredness (like taking it at 7 a.m. after an all-nighter), although it will help you stay awake for a small time. It's most effective when taken in the morning after some sleep -- like when you know you have a long day ahead. Mainly, it just tricks your brain into thinking you're fully awake when you may not be.

I don't think it will have any affect whatsoever on a player's ability to avoid tilt.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:14 PM

I think its less about avoiding tilt and more about being able to concentrate for longer periods of time and not have fatigue related tilt -- which is just playing poorly because your tired. Does it help with these situations?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its less about avoiding tilt and more about being able to concentrate for longer periods of time and not have fatigue related tilt -- which is just playing poorly because your tired. Does it help with these situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your tilt is directly related to fatigue, then sure it will help. In my case, tilt has very little to do with fatigue. In fact, sometimes I'm too tired to get pissed off about a beat and just stop playing. This could be articulated as an indirect way of avoiding tilt.

If you're hopped up on things like coffee, cocaine, speed, adderall, I would say such a mental state would increase tilt. Provigil doesn't bring that type of "speedy" feeling, but I don't think it would help such a situation.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude, I'm a 24 year old poker player. I've read a lot of neuroscience stuff, this information is very very basic within the field -- lets not get self righteous here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're referring to my post, i'm by no means trying to be self rightous. I guess being in graduate school has kind of conditioned me to browse to the bottom of any technical material and search for references i can look into for more information. Thanks for the book recommendation though whoever posted it, i'll definately check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Criticism is justified and just fine. Given the complexity of the brain its very difficult to make definitive conclusions w/o some very specific testing. That said I like OPs post and I really like Rory's follow-up.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Green tea

I think the mind can counter some of the bodies basic defense mechanisms-though very hard. Actors are very affective at "tricking" the body/or rather conditioning it. I.E; having to "believe" that an act or an emotion is real when in fact it is not. Most people don't realize the time and work that these people go through to make their emotions work in a way that seems natural-though it is anything but natural. It is probably possible to use some of these techniques to reduce tilt.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Green tea

I am now completly sold on tea when playing. For the last two days I've replaced most of the coffee I drink with tea and have found it MUCH easier to concentrate and "see" what is happening around me.

In particular, these last two days I've gotten my money in good many, many times only to be beaten. Normally this would induce a weak-tight state for a while as I lose my ability to read people for a bit. No more.

Thanks, thats another major piece to the puzzle.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually tilt more if its a bad player making retarded calls. When i finally in the spot to get him after not getting any chance for a long time and i get stacked by some retarded 3 outer.

But when iv been playing like a maniac and get stacked off with AA when some regular hit TPTK with AK, i dont really care.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:36 PM

when you're playing like a maniac you're already on tilt [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]