Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

Diablo - hells yeah! Only problems from my end (to quote Nolan):

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking about this with Scrub the other day, and we both agreed that we want our own companies, only we have no ideas and no money.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I will try to steal ideas from others, see what I come up with [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you can get funding for a company that involves models in any way, I will quit my job and work with you / for you in any capacity.

(Actually, I don't really pay a ton of attention to the venture market anymore, wrt pre/post $ valuations, where the monies are being invested etc., but it does seem as if the broad "entertainment" sector is getting its fair share. I've noticed VCs making more trips from Bay Area to LA to visit potential portfolio companies - with numerous and sometimes substantial bets being placed - mainly digital media technologies and services as you would expect, but even in more traditional media services such as eyeball tracking, talent agencies, production financing etc.)

-Al
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like most people with a good job, I love my job 20% of the time, like it 70% of the time, and dislike it 10% of the time. Because really, no matter how good your job is there are times when you would rather be doing something else.

Generally speaking, though, my job is fantastic. It's challenging, the compensation is good-very good, the hours are flexible, my supervisors let me do my own thing but help when asked, and the company goes out of it's way to repeatedly ask me if I'm happy and show that they're doing something to change that I don't like.

I think that the only two parts of my job that I don't like are:

1. It's consulting, and occasionally I get clients asking me to do multiple things in the same day/week and I end up working late which I don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

50-100% travel?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I write software and about 15% of the time I really love it. I solve hard problems, get my mind wrapped around the puzzle, crank out a bunch of code and unit tests.

70% of the time it's boring. It's bugs, escalated support issues I have to explain, meetings, etc.

The last 15% of the time I hate it. Idiotic management decisions that end up forcing me do really really stupid things that will just mean more work I can't stand in 3-6 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly what is causing my quarter life crisis. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Near as I can tell, if you stay in the industry, you have 3 choices.

1) Get used to it, all companies have the same BS.
2) Become management and learn to love meetings and creating the BS for higher pay, longer hours, and more butt kissing
3) Become a contractor. You don't care about BS, you won't be there long, but never knowing where your next contract is coming from can be difficult.

Or, I suppose, if you've got the abiliity, then
4) Start your own company

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just another engineer exercising my hamster-wheel right now, but think I could be happy being a dk-head like my boss and making twice the pay in 7-10yrs.

I enjoy the challenge of tech support and especially like that my day ends at 5pm and that's it, otherwise its OT baby! I feel like the idea of an hourly employee has a negative connotation but how do all you salaried folks feel when you are working more than 40hrs/wk?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I write software and about 15% of the time I really love it. I solve hard problems, get my mind wrapped around the puzzle, crank out a bunch of code and unit tests.

70% of the time it's boring. It's bugs, escalated support issues I have to explain, meetings, etc.

The last 15% of the time I hate it. Idiotic management decisions that end up forcing me do really really stupid things that will just mean more work I can't stand in 3-6 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-19-2006, 04:57 PM

I don't think I'd say I love my job. But I probably like it about as much as possible. The money isn't awesome or anything, but it's pretty good. And the job is very low-stress and I actually get to use my brain.

All that hard work in college actually was worth it! lol.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:58 PM

I have tutored on and off over the last 15 years. (mostly while I was also teaching full time, now in combination with working for a Distance Learning School)

In my case I tutor high school Math, Physics, and Chemistry so finding clients is extremely easy. If you are good at all in those subjects you will eventually have to turn people away.

I would recommend dropping off your resume at a local high school and speaking to a counsellor. They should be able to put you on the school or district tutor list.

As far as money, I started out charging $20/hr (15 years ago) and now charge $40/hr. Most tutoring companies in the city are around $50/hr, so I could probably be charging more. Certified teachers generally charge more than university students or graduates in other fields.

As far as enjoying it, it totally depends on the student. I'm at a stage now where if I don't enjoy working with the kid I just don't. I have 6 students at the moment, and I would probably tutor them for nothing if I didn't need the money.

I think the overall quality of teachers at the high school level for Math/Science kind of sucks, so I think there will always be a huge market for tutors in those areas.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:58 PM

im a special effects artist for a video game developer...cool environment, good pay, good benefits and i spend pretty much all my time making explosions and setting stuff on fire [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 05:18 PM

I work in the film industry in Hollywood. I have 3 Emmy awards, two Monitor awards, and have been nominated for 9 golden reel awards, and have worked on two projects nominated for Oscars in the field I work.

I have a long credit list on IMDB:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0813820/

And aside from that, I love what I do, have a great union with amazing benefits, and have flexible hours and great pay.

It makes the fact that I currently suck at poker not really matter... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

AB
Old 10-19-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a job that they truly love?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:57 PM

No less than two years ago I felt that way about my current job. Now, I can't stand it.