Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: The mark of the douchebag

[ QUOTE ]
For everyone hating on the OP: while his points may be exaggerated, all the individuals he is labeling share the characteristic of trying to draw attention to themselves for something they want you to be impressed by (their vacations, frat life, golf courses played, or events previously attended). For all of these examples, OP is assuming that said individuals would not engage in said activities unless they were trying to brag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, no. It's just not always what you and the life nit perceive it to be. I understand how you could see it that way but these people aren't trying to go all higher value/worth on you. They just enjoyed their vacation, golf weekend, frat, or whatever and decided to put on the silly bumper sticker or put on the shirt.

I am amazed that people like you can get out of bed in the morning without over thinking yourself.

J
Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For everyone hating on the OP: while his points may be exaggerated, all the individuals he is labeling share the characteristic of trying to draw attention to themselves for something they want you to be impressed by (their vacations, frat life, golf courses played, or events previously attended). For all of these examples, OP is assuming that said individuals would not engage in said activities unless they were trying to brag.

[/ QUOTE ]

But with respect to #4, I would think most people would wear an event T-shirt to the event not to brag, but to feel more like a member of the community of event attendees. They are trying to fit in with the crowd more so than impress the crowd.

Do you think that people who wear team colors to a football game are trying to "impress" everyone as to what huge fans they are of the team? No, for the most part they just want get into the spirit of the event and feel closer to their team and fellow fans.

In many cases, wearing an event T-shirt would be inappropriate because it would seem like the person is trying too hard to fit in. But this is a sign of a social deficiency associated with geekiness, not douchiness.

[ QUOTE ]
Kot,

Definitely yes for #1. I live in a nice area of Phoenix, half of the area goes to San Diego for the summer, way too many SUVs have "PB" or "MB" and crap like that. Who the hell cares what goddamned beach you go to? Why are you telling me this? Then again I think bumper stickers in general are retarded so whatever.

Don't see the frat ones too much but I have an inherent bias against frats even though many of my friends were in them, and don't understand why someone would advertise their frat.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay when you're actually IN the frat, but when you're 27 years old and 5 years removed from the frat, it's time to let go.

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of weeks ago eight of us played and three of us showed up in the same shirt from an event we recently played in together. I don't get it, are we not supposed to wear those shirts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, what? Yes, you can wear the shirts to other events, but not three of you at the same time. Was your team name Josie and the Pussycats?

[ QUOTE ]
Or do you mean not to wear them when the event comes around again? I totally do that too. It shows I'm old school, man!

[/ QUOTE ]

No - it doesn't show you're old school, it shows that you are that guy. It's the same thing as wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see to their concert.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, a much truer sign of the douchebag is a tattoo. Pretty much any kind, except if you got it in the military.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're labeling way too big and diverse section of the population for this to be correct whatsoever. You obviously thought of one exception (military) while thinking for the 10 seconds it took you to type your post. There are obviously tons of others as well.

For the record, I hate tattoos, I just don't agree with the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you think are good tattoos? I've now done a minute of thinking on the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a different question. The reasons behind getting the tattoo are going to be the most telling of whether or not the person is a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if it is so obvious, what are they?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:32 AM

FWIW I generally think less of people with tattoos, but I have friends with subtle ones around the ankle and such that don't really bother me. Tattoos can be of many different sizes, shapes and subtlety. I think most people who get bicep tattoos are idiots though, regardless of what the message is.

Kot, honestly man I've played golf my whole life and I've never heard anyone say that shirt thing. As for three of us wearing it on the same day, it is a really nice dry-fit shirt and the summers are hot as hell in Phoenix, so it just made sense to get it out. We had a good laugh about it, to be sure.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A couple of weeks ago eight of us played and three of us showed up in the same shirt from an event we recently played in together. I don't get it, are we not supposed to wear those shirts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, what? Yes, you can wear the shirts to other events, but not three of you at the same time. Was your team name Josie and the Pussycats?

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, they didn't coordinate it. It just sort of happened. Three guys went to some event...then later when they met up they wore the shirt because it was a reminder of the event. It's a reasonable idea.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or do you mean not to wear them when the event comes around again? I totally do that too. It shows I'm old school, man!

[/ QUOTE ]

No - it doesn't show you're old school, it shows that you are that guy. It's the same thing as wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see to their concert.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow yeah that would be a terrible idea!
Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kot, honestly man I've played golf my whole life and I've never heard anyone say that shirt thing. As for three of us wearing it on the same day, it is a really nice dry-fit shirt and the summers are hot as hell in Phoenix, so it just made sense to get it out. We had a good laugh about it, to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does that make you those guys?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 AM

perg,

I guess I am one of those guys. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow yeah that would be a terrible idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it really is.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you play in the Swampass Open in 2005, get the shirt, and then make sure you wear it back to play in the 2006 Swampass Open?