Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: RAZZ - PStars weird 4th street call

[ QUOTE ]
OK, don't try to explain how you got 50BB per 100, I'll just trust you. So, are you talking about risk/reward ratio, which is an anthropological concept I do understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can make .5bb in 1 hand, and you played that hand 100 times, you'd make 50bb/100. This is a bit facetious because this only happens if you get to steal every time. It would be a little more realistic to say that, if you had the opportunity to steal 4 times per 100 hands, and each one was worth .5bb, then you could expect to make 2bb/100 hands just from stealing. At .25/.5 you hardly ever get to steal, so, you know, a lot of your profit is not from stealing.

At FTP though, the ante is pretty high so stealing is good when you can. I like to know who the weak/tight guys are and sit on their right so I can abuse them. Having fish to your left is OK too though, because they'll call when they shouldn't but against them you want something ok, Sklansky recommends 2 cards to an 8 I think (I just got SOR, yay).
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to know who the weak/tight guys are and sit on their right so I can abuse them

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus if they do end up calling you can narrow their range down to probably two wheel cards.

I like to sit to the left of the guys who use the autofold button even when I'm the bring in and I end up getting walks with my K bring in against their 8 after it has been folded to them :-)
Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 AM

Autofold is indeed a key of the devil (as is auto-anything... when someone has the auto-raise button pressed that means something to).
Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel in my gut that this was not a badly-played hand. I think it looks like caca. I think I'm trying to figure something out and this debate, as it were, is helping.

Oh, hey, you remember the "call a brick on fourth" debate? That helped me unravel somethings about that - and you don't always fold, but you need special circumstances to call. I finally realized that I was sort of subconsciously recognizing those and when I would call it would usally work out well. So I made a rule for myself to always call one brick. Bad rule. Almost any "always/never" rule is -EV in poker. But the discussion it made me see how many calls I shouldn't have made when I figured out why I should have called some of them. So now, I probably call more than you do, but I call about 50% less than before.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good to know a little background Prax, since when people come here to learn something new you can't always tell if they're 20 or 60. Sadly, sometimes it's easier to talk to the 20 yr olds since they soak up all the terminology and math like a sponge (even tho like Andy I am stuck in the middle agewise). I like the direction that this thread has taken tho, that automatic plays and automatic thinking are bad (tho the auto-fold button is hand when you bring it in with (QQ)K ). But there are many basic plays and concepts that you need to understand to be a winning player. Even tho rules must sometimes be broken, trying to play a fixed limit poker game simply by "feel" is asking for trouble.

That said, if there are any of my old posts that you're not sure you understand or agree with, feel free to give them a "bump" and I'll try to 'splain.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good to know a little background Prax, since when people come here to learn something new you can't always tell if they're 20 or 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, see, if you hung around the Philosophy and Science forum you'd know all about me as I endlessly tell the ignorant little...uh...::ahem::... the creatively thinking posters my background. I am old, curmudgeonly, apparently brain-damaged in the math area, educated but not intellectual and having the typical memory problems of middle-age. Doing this, (poker) will keep you who are hovering on the brink, young-at-brain.

Thanks for the offer, BTW.

For my next trick, I will post a hand I folded (GASP!!) and you can tell me why I should have played. I gotta go find it......