Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Who is the best Omaha 8 player in the world?

[ QUOTE ]
I think now that it is too vague a question for any of us to answer to answer simply.

[/ QUOTE ]

since the biggest O8 games played anywhere include the vegas "big game" and the nosebleed stakes on Full Tilt, it would take one of those participants to give a reasonable answer. you can see Benyamine, Hansen, and Matusow playing their own heads-up and short-handed games almost nightly online and they all play WSOP events, and play cash games from coast to coast. I'm not saying any one of those 3 actually is the best, I'm just saying they might know of the overall most dominant player due to stakes played and wealth of experience.

of course, all 3 are probably egomaniacs, so you might not get an unbiased opinion out of them.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel pretty sure that Hossse_U runs over 5 bb/100s

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a 100% certainty. I should know, since he has probably taken at least that much off of me lately, lol. "Decisions" has run much higher than 5bb/100 in my PTO this year also. In my mind, it's impossible to talk about the best current PLO8 players without mentioning Gasss_u, Hossse_u, Gameover, Decisions, and Hilokunto also.

I absolutely never play shorthanded against them without 2 or 3 weak players in between us. I've seen a lot of other PLO8 players go on serious heater, but I don't think many of them have mastered the nuances, metagames, and short-handed skills necessary to belong in the PLO8 hall of fame. Consequently, I think many are just a "flash in the pan" and will get burned out or go busto in the longrun.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His overall average is reduced slightly by screwing around at lower limits or at NLO8 (where he doesn't seem to have an edge).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you call pushing all-in with any 4, or playing stoned, then I guess you're right.. he didn't have an edge.

Wintermute lost motivation in trying to win anymore at the tail end of 2006. He had already earned plenty of money, and reached the goals he set out for himself. His best and most thoughtful play was when he was previously climbing the stakes and actually trying to improve. He said himself that his goal was never to be a long-term professional player... for some crazy unknown reason, he actually wanted to get a job???!???

i think a long of people have misconceptions about why he stopped playing, or why he played so badly at the end of last year and maybe this will clear things up. Of course, tilt was one of his biggest problems and any of us grinders know that feeling all too well.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for some crazy unknown reason, he actually wanted to get a job???!???

[/ QUOTE ]
It's called responsibility, David.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

since the biggest O8 games played anywhere include the vegas "big game" and the nosebleed stakes on Full Tilt,

[/ QUOTE ]

Biggest games don't always have best players, but instead have biggest bankrolls or tolerance for variance. I'd be happy stake a bunch of high stakes plo8 regulars in games w those name pros

in 2006 most of those players you mentioned had winrates higher than 6PTBB for extended periods.

-g
Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Biggest games don't always have best players, but instead have biggest bankrolls or tolerance for variance. I'd be happy stake a bunch of high stakes plo8 regulars in games w those name pros

[/ QUOTE ]

it really depends on what type of matchup you're talking about. most of the o8 regulars would get slaughtered trying to beat Matusow or Negreanu heads-up in LO8, especially in a live setting. some of the big name pros ARE ACTUALLY the real deal, with great short-handed and psychological prowess.

on the other hand, if you tossed most big name pros into a $10/$20 full-ring PLO8 game, they would consistently lose because they haven't needed to study the multiway equities and other aspects that are unique to this game.

[ QUOTE ]
in 2006 most of those players you mentioned had winrates higher than 6PTBB for extended periods.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know, looks like the cream of the crop can often sustain around 10PTBB. i do think that sustaining 6PTBB is an accomplishment though.

what brings you back to the board? looking into grinding a few hours a week again?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is interesting that mute, whom you hold in such high regard, was able to only get +4BB/100 under the best of circumstances.

In another thread posters argue that +5-10BB/100 is still possible in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, are we talking about big blinds in PLO8 or big bets in limit?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Mack, but my impression was that you are a better Omaha-8 player than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice of you to say so, but it's not even close. Leading the list of my leaks is the fact that my attention span for O8 rarely exceeds two hours, and that's when I'm running good. I much prefer to sit around and theorize! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The guy who won that thing, Nolan Hee, is one awesome poker player by my standards,

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed; Nolan's scary. Plus it's hard to see him coming.

If you had managed to take him down, just think of the press coverage and endorsement contracts! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is interesting that mute, whom you hold in such high regard, was able to only get +4BB/100 under the best of circumstances.

In another thread posters argue that +5-10BB/100 is still possible in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, are we talking about big blinds in PLO8 or big bets in limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

wintermute/hakallah/fat_nutz is a PLO8 player, but if you have incites into limit winrates or player pools we are all ears.

do you play online, or are you primarily a B&M player?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for some crazy unknown reason, he actually wanted to get a job???!???

[/ QUOTE ]Dave - If you get a job doing something you like, it's actually fun to go to work. And if you do well helping people, it's somehow very satisfying - more satisfying than beating someone in a poker game. For the last forty years I worked, I looked forward to going to work each day.

Honest.

Buzz

(I have to admit the jobs were mostly not so good while I was working my way through college).