Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Can a Christian play poker?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if I could get any Bible scriptures about this is would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm assuming you're not leveling in 1st post, and I wanna see this too. Not that it would change my opinion I just am interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reat1on and All, how do you feel about a rationaliztion of poker as simply a game where money keeps score. Yes there is chance but there are preferred strategies that will leave the skillful with a better score than others?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I've stated several times in these forums, I am not only a Christian, but a pastor! And FWIW, I'm an Evangelical (Bible-believing, Bible-preaching), not a liberal Christian. And, I play poker.

Does the Bible condemn gambling? No. However, there are still biblical principles that apply. Note, for instance, that the bible also doesn't mention using drugs, etc., but we can still gather from stated biblical principle that drugs are a sin for a Christian.

Principles: 1) being a bad steward with your money. Answer: The bible gives clear indication what to do with your money: pay your bills, take care of your family, give to the church and to those who are less fortunate, and save some. The rest, as far as I'm concerned, can be used for fun and entertainment.
2) Contributing to an industry that is a major factor in ruining lives. Answer: Now, this is a true problem for Christians. Can I really rejoice in a huge pot I took down if by doing so, the other guy is now bankrupt, losing his house, getting divorced, etc.? That's a tough one to live with.
3) Do things in moderation. The bible does not prohibit certain things such as drinking and gambling. The issue at stake is to not get addicted or to allow those things to control your life. If I'm playing so much poker on-line or live so that I'm leaving my family alone, neglecting my job, not cleaning the house or doing yardwork, etc., and by doing so I'm failing to lead my family, then that is a definite violation of biblical principle. So a Christian can, I believe, play poker. But we have to be alert and vigilant to avoid letting it control us.

[/ QUOTE ]

your church address please????

Thanks for this, I agree with all of your points and believe these are really pillars anyone should live by. Maybe its not the place in this thread or even this forum, but its really time to admit such knee jerk reactions by Christians to classifying items in "in or out" terms makes it very difficult to be consistent logically and in practice. Is it possible to leave certain areas as amoral?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:29 PM

In times of strife like this, we should step back and ask, What Would Negreanu Do?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:35 PM

I seem to recal a parable where the master gave some loot (maybe called a talent???) to a few of the servants. Maybe in the book of Matthew, I don't know. Anyways, when the master returned from his trip, he wanted to know the status of the talents he handed out. One servant didn't do anything with his talent and was busted by the master because he didn't even invest it where he could have earned interest of whatever type of banking they had in the day.

Some lost the talent and some did well with the talent.

Im thinking that the talent could be the modern day bankroll and if you earn eleventy billion PT/100 your all good.

Play poker, go to church, spend money. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In times of strife like this, we should step back and ask, What Would Negreanu Do?

[/ QUOTE ]

His smile reminds me of that Phil Ivey paint drawing.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if I could get any Bible scriptures about this is would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm assuming you're not leveling in 1st post, and I wanna see this too. Not that it would change my opinion I just am interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reat1on and All, how do you feel about a rationaliztion of poker as simply a game where money keeps score. Yes there is chance but there are preferred strategies that will leave the skillful with a better score than others?

[/ QUOTE ]This is true, but, in a normal game, nothing bad can really come from losing. You can't lose your life savings by playing baseball. This would be more true if everyone had an infinite bankroll.

[ QUOTE ]
Does the Bible condemn gambling? No. However, there are still biblical principles that apply. Note, for instance, that the bible also doesn't mention using drugs, etc., but we can still gather from stated biblical principle that drugs are a sin for a Christian.

Principles: 1) being a bad steward with your money. Answer: The bible gives clear indication what to do with your money: pay your bills, take care of your family, give to the church and to those who are less fortunate, and save some. The rest, as far as I'm concerned, can be used for fun and entertainment.
2) Contributing to an industry that is a major factor in ruining lives. Answer: Now, this is a true problem for Christians. Can I really rejoice in a huge pot I took down if by doing so, the other guy is now bankrupt, losing his house, getting divorced, etc.? That's a tough one to live with.
3) Do things in moderation. The bible does not prohibit certain things such as drinking and gambling. The issue at stake is to not get addicted or to allow those things to control your life. If I'm playing so much poker on-line or live so that I'm leaving my family alone, neglecting my job, not cleaning the house or doing yardwork, etc., and by doing so I'm failing to lead my family, then that is a definite violation of biblical principle. So a Christian can, I believe, play poker. But we have to be alert and vigilant to avoid letting it control us.

[/ QUOTE ]Excellent post.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 PM

I don't know, but according to white supremicists, online poker is RIGGED!

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/show....html?t=193053
Old 02-17-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I've stated several times in these forums, I am not only a Christian, but a pastor! And FWIW, I'm an Evangelical (Bible-believing, Bible-preaching), not a liberal Christian. And, I play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

your church address please????

Thanks for this, I agree with all of your points and believe these are really pillars anyone should live by. Maybe its not the place in this thread or even this forum, but its really time to admit such knee jerk reactions by Christians to classifying items in "in or out" terms makes it very difficult to be consistent logically and in practice. Is it possible to leave certain areas as amoral?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's our website: www.crossroadscf.com

Also, as Christians we have no option but to have it invade and infiltrate our entire lives/beings. We can't make Christianity "a part" of our lives. We recognize that we live for a King and a Kingdom, nothing else. So, there are no "amoral" things. Do my actions build/further the Kingdom? Good. Do they hinder it in myself or others? Then I must make adjustments.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but according to white supremicists, online poker is RIGGED!

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/show....html?t=193053

[/ QUOTE ]
THE JEWS RIGGED POKER
Old 02-17-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it okay for a christian to wear a girl's dress in a fashion show....Temporary using them(those clothes of girls)...Im a boy, a real boy, and I waas just wanna aask if it is alright to wear them(those clothes of girls) in a few minutes..lets say 5 minutes?....I want to join a model show...Where boys partnered with girls...but there is a part where boys will wear mini skirts..waaaaa....Im not sure though if it is alright to wear them...

[/ QUOTE ]