Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Poker is a game of accidents

lol strassa is a donk
Old 02-14-2007, 02:19 AM

Shaniac writes so [censored] well, god damn Im jealous of him [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 AM

i remember when sklansky made that post almost a year ago about how a proper tag style was "unexploitable" and ideal for the biggest games when you just added in appropriate bluffing frequencies and everybody completely [censored] on him

funny how the game seems to be moving a lot more towards that end of the spectrum now
Old 02-14-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember when sklansky made that post almost a year ago about how a proper tag style was "unexploitable" and ideal for the biggest games when you just added in appropriate bluffing frequencies and everybody completely [censored] on him

funny how the game seems to be moving a lot more towards that end of the spectrum now

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is because people tend to go wayy too crazy sometimes trying to play "good", especially with the HH's they post on here trying to divulge so deeply into a minute detail and ignoring a huge leak they have.

i think you see this specifically in live play where the consistently solid players stick around.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 AM

fantastic post, thank you for it
Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 AM

strassa,

Very good post that I largely agree with, but I think that a player who played like Hat or Buddy at their best without tilting would be a tougher and more profitable opponent than GoG or aba.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 AM

i bring this up everytime, but [censored] why not say it again. a lot of times these "accidents" are obviously guys willing to take shots or guys making huge tournament scores. guys liek grim (no offense) are a perfect example of someone who got money before they got any good. the funny thing is, often times that situation works- guy runs super hot, gets a nice roll, then "adjusts" to big games quickly- i mean obviously there are guys grinding 5-10 and 10-20 that may be more fundamentally sound or whatever than some winning 25-50 player, but the 25-50 player has that extra tendency to pull the trigger when no one believes that he will and pull off ridiculous bluffs (see H@ll i suppose).

another thing to consider is that there is already a differnce in genres in online poker, despite it's history being relatively short. during the party history and right at the beginning of the boom, there are 3-6 and 5-10 players that could be big winners at the 25-50 as soon as it came out- hell most 1-2 players now could have beaten the 5-10 on party for the first few months. those accidents happened more frequently, but like you said, they're few and far between now.

as far as the LAG vs TAG thing goes, there's just no way one can be jusitifiably better imo. for instance, there are no doubt going to be tables where 6 handed it is correct to raise nearly every hand- i mean, it could be a table filled with strong but tight players who simply adjust poorly or tilt. on the other hand, playing super loose and aggro at a table with samo or H@ll will often be no good- even if you play back properly, they are so used to playing so many hands that i think almost anyone would struggle to match wits with them postflop, without it being a super variance war. and paging something from the artist formerly known as samo, i remember when he said that he often played live and at some tables played extraordinarily tight. he adjusted to the table- so much so that he was able to make that ridiculous bluff preflop (i forget the thread, but he got someone to lay down a monster because he hadn't played a hand in a long time). this was a guy playing almost half of his hands short handed, and he goes to playing very tight and or straightforward in this live setting.

essentially, you just have to be able to adjust.

also, go heels.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
strassa,

Very good post that I largely agree with, but I think that a player who played like Hat or Buddy at their best without tilting would be a tougher and more profitable opponent than GoG or aba.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree... in theory, if you could play so well that you knew your opponent's hand and his tendencies/reaction to your plays/etc with 100% accuracy 100% of the time, then you maximize profit with 100% VPIP. the closer you get to poker perfection, the closer you get to complete maximization of your EV per hand. im really stoned right now though so i may be way off
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 AM

Who is GoG? Sorry...
Old 02-14-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
strassa,

Very good post that I largely agree with, but I think that a player who played like Hat or Buddy at their best without
tilting would be a tougher and more profitable opponent than GoG or aba.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the real question is whether anyone is capable of playing a true "Hat"/"Buddy" LAG style w/ out tilting/spewing enough to be more profitable than the TAG types mentioned.

imo, the answer is no.