Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Beat: Calculus

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is IB calc test? Is that like AP tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

In short, yes. IB has a more international presence while AP is mostly just the US and Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm in the IB diploma program and have also taken AP classes. the difference is IB focus on being well rounded and working hard because u have to take and pass a certain number of classes in their (ibo's) curriculum and pass the tests required and do community service and a bunch of stuff to get you IB diploma. AP however focuses on excelling at one subject, so usually the tests are a little harder (unless you like multiple choice which i do so i actually like AP tests better because IB tests are generally all free response) and with AP you can chose what classes and how many AP classes you want to take based on your interests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for setting us straight. I was curious about IB but my high school didn't establish its program until the year after I graduated.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:52 PM

I found circle geo more frustrating as sometime you could look at something for ages without getting how to do it,

All calculus was easy.

Beat: I still rememeber how to prove the alt. segment w' a tangent theorem. 3 yrs ago
Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol liberal arts colleges that don't make you take classes outside of your major. WTF is the point of getting a college education then?

OIC, these are the same dudes that can quote me obscure accounting pronouncements but that can't use Excel or write a coherent email.

[/ QUOTE ]

So its less of an education if you take classes you actually want to take outside of your major, instead of having to take classes that are forced upon you to take?

Its not like you just take your major classes and 20 random classes, you have requirements to meet but you are allowed more discretion in choosing the types of classes that you want to take to fill those requirements.

You are also given more chances to take classes which are outside of your major and required classes, and I don't understand why that is a bad thing. If you are paying for an education wouldn't you rather take something that interests you than something that is forced down your throat/will never need?

It basically just gives you more freedom in choosing the types of classes that you want to take, I'm not saying that it is better/worse, just defending against your idiotic interpretation of the system.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not if your teacher sucks uncircumcised rhino penis

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the bloody hell goes around circumcising rhinos?

[/ QUOTE ]

This question is not getting nearly enough respect.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 PM

i always thought calc was pretty cool.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 PM

Franchise 60,

I started the whole make-people-take-calculus derailment of this thread, but I actually don't disagree with you.

I just think it's hypocritical that many universities expect students to be well-rounded in the humanities, but not in math. Either require people to take college-level math (i.e. Calculus), or abolish humanities requirements. Either way is fine by me, but it ought to be one or the other.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 PM

I am a phy ed major and I passed ap calc when I was a senior in high school.

In college I had to take 0 math classes.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Franchise 60,

I started the whole make-people-take-calculus derailment of this thread, but I actually don't disagree with you.

I just think it's hypocritical that many universities expect students to be well-rounded in the humanities, but not in math. Either require people to take college-level math (i.e. Calculus), or abolish humanities requirements. Either way is fine by me, but it ought to be one or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not of done a good enough job conveying it but I also agreed your with your point when you explained it more. My whole point of posting in this thread was to just convey happiness in not having to take math lol.

But I def agree that if a university/college makes students spend 2 yrs taking general courses, that math is def a general course.

I'm not some NE liberal/poetry guy just cause I went to a small liberal arts school, thats why I was fired up at the other guys post.

I went to a small school cause sports got me into a school that I normally wouldn't have been able to get into. But i'm not one of those types that hates on big schools and all that.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Math sharpens the mind.

By and large people who study math have sharped logical, reasoning abilities than non-math people.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Math sharpens the mind.

By and large people who study math have sharped logical, reasoning abilities than non-math people.

[/ QUOTE ]

[X] Sharped logic