Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: MSNBC Front page...

I think this is common knowledge, but just in case: journalists write stories, not headlines. Editors write headlines, usually based on a quick scan of the story.

Please don't bother sending outraged e-mails to Mike Brunker about the home page, he's probably annoyed about it too.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is common knowledge, but just in case: journalists write stories, not headlines. Editors write headlines, usually based on a quick scan of the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the vast majority of visitors on those sites read the headlines and nothing more.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 PM

Well at least this might educate the dudes who actually believe anyone can see your hole cards with a $29 piece of software.

I know a dude who could beat $2/5 NL live, but got crushed at $1/2 NL online. (surprise) He was convinced it was bots. Some dude supposedly got busted somewhere for making bots. My friend was all excited because now the games were going to be legit.

Honestly, a lot of people may actually be more reassured by this. That at least someone got caught. And when they read how, the causal player might realize there are people out there watching for cheats.

To summarize: I think this might actually help with the tinfoil hat crowd who truly believed they were being cheated. But it will hurt with the normal casual player who just assumed nothing like this could ever happen.

I dunno. Obviously it's scary. But I don't think it's the apocolypse. Now if another big site goes down, that's the apocolypse.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the vast majority of visitors on those sites read the headlines and nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, although the vast moajority of those will have forgotten whatever they read once the next picture of Britney flashes on the screen.

I'm not saying not to be mad about the headline, just don't fill the reporter's voicemail with insults over it. I've been in his shoes, there's not much he can do.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is the end of online poker the way we know it. Im glad it became public though.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone who knows more about this than me plz tell me otherwise

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh,

Seriously. Online poker might take a hit short-term, but over the long haul this is probably the best possible outcome one could hope for, considering it's evident that cheating occurred on Absolute Poker.

Sure, it's conceivable, and even likely, that a number of fish will be temporarily turned off from online poker, since the story will confirm their beliefs that ALL of online poker is rigged, and their losses has obviously nothing to do with them sucking ass at poker.

But as someone with an education in journalism (among other things), I can tell you that the attention span of the average media consumer is such that unless this story becomes an ongoing scandal over a long time (1 month+) the impact will be negligible. However, if the MSNBC article is only the beginning, and MSM will start a prolonged campaign on the issue, it might have a serious impact. I highly doubt that this case is newsworthy enough for that though.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 PM

ffs, something else have to happen and bring this from the top of the msnbc page. Maybe some sudden world peace? A democratic revolution in north korea? (I'm thinking only good news, of course).
Old 10-19-2007, 10:02 PM

btw this is the friday night news cycle at msnbc

the combination of those two events is...very very good for us
Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw this is the friday night news cycle at msnbc

the combination of those two events is...very very good for us

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean to post a screenshot here?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 PM

The leader (not sure if that's the name for it in English) for the abc news story on the abc homepage (*not the headline*), is "think online poker is safe? don't bet on it". The actual headline is much much better.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:11 PM

Nobody reads the front page.