Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: girls who play poker - a turn off for guys who don\'t play poker?

Blarg, my college textbooks are in storage, but I spent an entire semester studying class in America, and speaking in terms of CLASS (again, this is NOT the same as INCOME), men tend to marry someone in their own class or above. Women are about 3 times more likely to marry down.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 PM

And you're right, men may not expect to profit much from a woman's income, but they can profit HUGELY from marrying someone from a higher class.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM

how are you separating income and class? obv they aren't one in the same, but they are clearly related. (serious question, not trying to be a dick)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg, my college textbooks are in storage, but I spent an entire semester studying class in America, and speaking in terms of CLASS (again, this is NOT the same as INCOME), men tend to marry someone in their own class or above. Women are about 3 times more likely to marry down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read things in my day too, including textbooks, and I've also gone to college, so to further the discussion, we'd be better off just discussing rather than posting our curricula vitae.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the reason women have a natural disadvantage at poker is their lack of testicles.... a requisite for bold and aggressive no limit manuevers

[/ QUOTE ]

it works the other way. women often have an image of being tight/weak, and i've made money off of people trying to bluff me for that reason. i can also take advantage of my image and bluff those who would expect me to only be aggressive when i have a strong hand.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there are far more women living in poverty than men. How is possible, then, for men to be marrying up? There aren't enough women of higher class to go around for men of lower class.

From what I know, it's always been the opposite case - women marry up and men marry down. Men don't care as much about the income/class of his partner as women do.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM

1) true:
[ QUOTE ]
women marry more for value while men marry more for attractiveness

[/ QUOTE ]
2) retarded; however maybe start a thread about this as this one has been hijacked..... :
[ QUOTE ]
the reason women have a natural disadvantage at poker is their lack of testicles.... a requisite for bold and aggressive no limit manuevers

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 PM

dd,

There's a fair bit of sarcasm coming through on that one. Time for new batteries in your detector.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 PM

So this mystifying theory is explained when CLASS is defined as something different than INCOME.

I don't understand this either. It has always been my perception that women marry up, and men marry down, but not far down.

I have dated women who make more money than me, not saying that this is too hard when there was points when I was making less than 10k a year. In this instance, yes women tend to marry whatever is available, and that unfortunately is a man who is probably a slacker, or whatever.

I wouldn't have a chance with Paris Hilton, not because of her looks, but because of her CLASS, which may not be because of income variance, but because her parents are extremely rich.

If money tends to a be a problem in marriages, I would think that most men cannot deal with the wife making more money.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 AM

I married up.

My wife's family could buy and sell mine many times over.

Sample size = small