Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Fossilman\'s Stars Account Hacked?

[ QUOTE ]

Seconded, or like I said in the internet thread, a retinal scanner would work just as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
George (Fossilman)-

We may be dinosaurs when it comes to security precautions, but we managed to save your account. Congratulations and thanks for playing at Pokerstars today!!

-Lou Jones

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was gonna be like that last time when everybody thought Raymer's account was hacked. You know, where he got pissed at people bouncing around seats and saying that he was happy that DN busted out of the ME and all that.

This just sucks. At least it was all fixed up.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 AM

Greg - Not sure if the Stars people are reading this thread.
But I'm guessing you still are.

Please mention to them that they should really improve their security measures on their site.

Whether you had an easy to guess password or not, there's no reason why they can't improve some of this stuff.

Also - do you agree with their policy of them not telling you the name of the guy?
Does anyone think this is a good policy?

If someone tries to rip me off, or successfully does...and the site where I was ripped-off actually KNOWS the guy's name and address I fail to see why they should protect him.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 AM

I'd love to know why the password was so easy. Since you have obviously changed all of your passwords, are you willing to share what the password was?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 AM

Stars security should contact local authorities where the dude lives and fill out a report. This is no different than signing into a bank and moving funds. Obviously some locales would be more aggressive than others but at the very least report him. Local DA's love a slam dunk case.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If someone tries to rip me off, or successfully does...and the site where I was ripped-off actually KNOWS the guy's name and address I fail to see why they should protect him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this either. If they aren't going to take any legal action against this guy, why don't they just reveal his name and screen name to protect other players and tarnish the guy's reputation. I can only understand withholding his name if they plan on taking legal action (which I highly doubt)

And as for contacting local authorities, I think this would be highly unlikely, and if he is out of the U.S. I don't think there is a course of action.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- concerned about how many tries somebody can 'guess' a password before the account gets locked. There was one time I couldn't remember my password and I kept trying and trying and trying and NEVER got locked

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that it becomes possible for anyone to malisciously get an account locked. For example, I go and try to log in as MicroBob, guess the password a couple times and poof! Account is locked. Later, you go to log in for real... And your account is locked! Stars would be spending all their time unlocking accounts.

The way to do it is to allow only so many guesses per minutes. For example, you get three tries at the password. After that, you need to wait ten minutes per try FROM THAT IP! From that IP is important because if it's a blanket delay, villain can block you from logging in indefinately by re-attempting every ten minutes.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Only an idiot

12345? Thats the kind of password an idiot would have for his pokerstars account
Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a liability issue. Let's say they released the name of the person who supposedly ripped him off. ("supposedly" because how can PS, be absolutely sure it was John Doe??? What if Jane Smith hacked John Doe's account, then hacked Greg's account.) Now, Greg thinks it's John Doe and goes and kills him. John Does's family sues PS saying "PS was the reason Greg killed John Doe." PS writes really, really big check to John's family.

The problem is the "actually KNOWS" part. If PS releases the name... 99% of the time it gets a couple of 'good job' comments from the poker community, and 1% of the time, when it's wrong, writes that really, really big check. Bad odds. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Meow
Old 03-19-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Guess Raymer\'s password contest!

So what happens to this person that stole (or attempted to i guess) thousands of $$$, do they just get banned from the site?