FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Cal or fold?
Call 45 86.54%
Fold 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: d10 drives home from work, a trip report

[ QUOTE ]
For the people who claim they use the 'brake check' occasionally, I'd like an opinion on this incident:

I'm going about 72 in a 65, passing a bunch of cars in the right lane maybe going 68,69ish. So it takes a good few minutes to pass the 3 or 4 of them. I don't feel like going faster, as I'm a young guy (pullover bait) who's already used up his 2 "plead careless driving and pay $400 instead of $100 and getting points for speeding/etc" chances that NJ so generously gives you.

Guy in some dark flashy car comes up behind me, tails me right on the ass, but I figure, if he's going to be a jerk about it, and to make him happy I probably have to go up to 80 or so, in a road I see cops on plenty of times, I'll just keep the cruise control on and he can wait his turn.

As the rear of my car passes the front of the frontmost car in the right lane, I put on my right blinker and turn my head to ensure my blindspot is clear. As I am doing so, HotShot zooms into the right lane, cutting off the driver there now, and then pulls in front of me. He then executes the most extreme brake check I ever saw, probably going from 90 to almost 40 pretty rapidly (tires squealing, burnt rubber smell). I slam and drop to almost 30 (thank god nobody else was behind us, and I didn't fishtail into either the left shoulder or in front of the cars in the right lane). I have time to yell a curse as the strawberry shortcake I am bringing to my girlfriend's flies around the car, and the guy then burns rubber peeling out to some insane speed, leaving my view in a matter of moments.

Standard?

If so, I really don't like you brake-checkers...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a country mouse FWIW, but I don't think you should be expected to break the speed limit by 10 mph when passing on the interstate just because someone behind you wants to go 90, unless of course the flow of traffic is that fast. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you are going at least a couple mph faster than the cars you're passing I keep my patience. I personally pass pretty quickly when I'm in that spot, but not so much that I'm at risk for a ticket.

The villain in your story should go to jail for that kind of recklessness. He could easily have gotten you killed.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:38 AM

It either literally happened at such speeds that I was unable to read his license plate, or was mentally incapable. I don't really recall, but I know I wished I had gotten it when my cell phone caught my eye. Not that calling the police would probably have gotten any kind of response in a non-collision situation, there were only a few exits left before the road kind of morphs from an interstate into a city road.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 AM

d10, sounds like you have a history of being a dick driver. I did too at one time. Hopefully you'll also grow out of it soon before you get yourself or someone else killed.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 AM

I use the brake-check as well, but only on single lane roads. Using it on multi-lane roads is just plain idiotic.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:59 AM

d10 I normally like your posts but you are clearly in the wrong here. Your actions were reckless and put lives of others in danger for very little reason. Especially so on a road with a suicide lane. These types of roads are already notoriously dangerous. Of course the other guy was a dick as well but you played a major role in instigating him.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
d10 I normally like your posts but you are clearly in the wrong here. Your actions were reckless and put lives of others in danger for very little reason. Especially so on a road with a suicide lane. These types of roads are already notoriously dangerous. Of course the other guy was a dick as well but you played a major role in instigating him.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this is true, but I just wanted to add that I really enjoyed reading your post anyway.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 AM

d10, this OP brings a tear to my eye...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There is literally no downside to this move. If it works as desired you piss off the douche behind you, if he hits you, hilarity ensues and it's his fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false on multiple levels.

J
Old 05-23-2007, 10:55 AM

i always wonder why there are so many traffic accidents.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 AM

So basically you tailgated a guy and then passed in a stupid, dangerous and illegal fashion?

How about just not being in a hurry and [censored] relaxing?

I have zero patience for people tailgating me. I won't brake check, because that's dumb, but I will slow down a lot until they back off.

1/2 a car length isn't safe or smart in the least.