Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: napping

Noah,

You mentioned the fatty thing, do your studies involve chronic fatigue too? I'm guessing that's a totally different area by a ways.

Also, I think to address your comment to that guy about the 12 hour thing the dips appear to get shallower, which seems to imply that the first few hours are more valuable, and the last few are closer to wakefulness. I think that's what he was going for anyway.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 AM

I learned about sleep cycles and all that [censored] last year in psych but I never understood why I can wake up after sleeping for 12 hours and want to go right back to sleep. Is it because I awoke from a deep level of sleep? If I woke up near REM after 12+ hours of sleep would I not feel like such [censored]?

anyway I love taking naps in front of the tv. I don't care how long they are for, usually between 30-2hrs I feel the same no matter what, pretty tired. But the feeling of laying down and falling asleep after walking around in zombie mode on 4 hours of sleep in school for 7 hours I cant help myself.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:35 AM

I generally feel pretty unrested and groggy for the whole rest of the day if I take a nap. I'm much better with long periods of being awake and long periods of being asleep. Mixing up the two just gives me problems.

Also, if I just sleep for a short period, I tend to have stomach/intestinal problems later in the day. I think my system likes to digest during sleep, and disrupting this causes problems.

edit: and yes, I've known about the sleep cycle thing for years (from a psych class in college) - timing naps properly helps, but I'm still usually better off not taking them unless I'm extremely sleep deprived.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I went through a period last year where like 50% of the time I'd be about to fall asleep I'd experience that paralysis thing. In the beginning it freaked the crap out of me because it kinda felt like I was suffocating and couldn't control my breathing.

It doesn't seem to happen to me much at all anymore, but was that some sort of sleep disorder that I should keep an eye on?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has knowingly happened to me twice, but I believe that I was more tired physically than I was mentally, if that makes any sense. In other words, my body fell asleep before my mind did. The last time this happened was after driving 20 hours straight from Avon (Vail/Beaver Creek) CO to Stevens Point (the center of) WI.

Yes, it's very scary. You have to shock yourself into moving.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Noah,

You mentioned the fatty thing, do your studies involve chronic fatigue too? I'm guessing that's a totally different area by a ways.

Also, I think to address your comment to that guy about the 12 hour thing the dips appear to get shallower, which seems to imply that the first few hours are more valuable, and the last few are closer to wakefulness. I think that's what he was going for anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the dips get shallower, but that is because your body knows how much sleep it needs. If someone was overtired and pulled an all-nighter, then went to sleep the next night, its not like they'd have the same graph as above with more shallow dips continuing out to 12 hours, they'd have more deep dips too. When you fall asleep, your body recognizes what it needs and begins on that progression. This is why you can get used to sleeping just 6 hours, but if you're used to sleeping 9 hours and then sleep just 6 you feel like [censored].
Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 AM

I think in the future, we might be able to wear electrodes that monitor our sleep cycles and then send a signal to an alarm clock that will wake us based upon our sleep cycle within a failsafe range that the user would input. So you could tell it that no matter what you need to be up by 9am, but you'll wake as early as 8:30.

I also dream of a day where I can have a machine recognize that I'm having an amazing dream banging supermodels, and the machine somehow keeps me asleep instead of always [censored] waking me up.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in the future, we might be able to wear electrodes that monitor our sleep cycles and then send a signal to an alarm clock that will wake us based upon our sleep cycle within a failsafe range that the user would input. So you could tell it that no matter what you need to be up by 9am, but you'll wake as early as 8:30.

I also dream of a day where I can have a machine recognize that I'm having an amazing dream banging supermodels, and the machine somehow keeps me asleep instead of always [censored] waking me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

both of those would rule
Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

both of those would rule

[/ QUOTE ]

the only problem is that i just made them up.

i think first they should work on a c-pap machine for people with sleep apnea that doesn't look like a darth vader mask attached to a vacuum cleaner.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a lot like this:

http://www.sleeptracker.com/

Anyone tried it? I read about it in a magazine article recently.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a lot like this:

http://www.sleeptracker.com/

Anyone tried it? I read about it in a magazine article recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i have never even seen this before. have to check it out.