FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: K-fed
yea 2 15.38%
nay 11 84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Bonds bitter over departure from Giants

[ QUOTE ]
BSF what about poker players or students using Adderal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't looked into it.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will mentionm, in the interests of disclosure, that I abuse caffeine like its going out of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do as well, to the point that I'm almost immune to it (it seems). I drink in excess of ten diet drinks a day and have zero problem falling asleep at any time. I don't particularly feel like I have an unfair advantage over my coworkers due to my excess!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will mentionm, in the interests of disclosure, that I abuse caffeine like its going out of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do as well, to the point that I'm almost immune to it (it seems). I drink in excess of ten diet drinks a day and have zero problem falling asleep at any time. I don't particularly feel like I have an unfair advantage over my coworkers due to my excess!

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect you don't, because everyone is doing it.

Also, LOL @ title change to thread.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect you don't, because everyone is doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I'm frowned upon for either wasting money or for putting something so unhealthy into my body. Not more than a few people at work even drink soft drinks anymore it seems.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, LOL @ title change to thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fitting.

but Barry is still bitter over his departure from the Giants. :-)
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 PM

While we're arguing about all things Barry Bonds....

RedBean,
Why do you think that Greg Anderson (Bonds' ex-trainer, obviously) refuses to speak to the grand jury about Bonds?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Second, you are very, very wrong about the competitive advantages of caffeine use to medical students. They are EXTREMELY important. Medical school is very, very competitive, to the point where a few extra points on a few multiple choice tests can mean the difference between getting a certain residency and not. Not only does caffeine allow the abusers to stay up later (and thus have more time to learn the material) but numerous studies have shown that it increases concentration and attention and that these effects improve performance on tests. Students who are using caffeine immediately before tests for an attention or concentration boost absolutely have an advantage on non-abusers. It is EXACTLY a shortcut, hazardous to their health, altering body chemistry, and artificial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I've never seen such a load of [censored] in my life. First, " a few extra points can mean the difference" doesn't mean anything. A good night's sleep before the test can mean a few points. A good meal can mean a few points. If the benefits are within the values of normal variance, then it is less significant than something like steroids, which can benefit up to 10% in distance in hitting which cannot be gained otherwise. Second, an increase in "concentration and attention" is secondary. An increase in "c and a" canNOT benefit more than increased studying, etc. Even if you took the top students, who could do no better while using traditional methods, and allowed them to use caffeine, the effect would be miniscule compared to overall depth of knowledge being tested. You can improve your scores using more traditional methods than by caffeine. That's not the same with steroids. Third, everything is hazardous to your health in excess. I guess I shouldn't drink ten diet cokes a day.

The analogy of caffeine to students = steroids to athletes is poor and you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just have no idea what the word shortcut means huh? What are you talking about? If two students studied the exact same amount, and all else was equal, but one of them loaded up on caffeine going into the exam, the caffeine guy is going to have an advantage. Sure it is POSSIBLE to overcome this advantage through extra work and studying. So what? Thats the definition of a shortcut. But if you study AS HARD AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN, and I study AS HARD AS I POSSIBLY CAN, but you use caffeine and I am unwilling to do so, you will have an advantage (assuming we are of equal intelligence). This is unfair. In this environment, I am forced to use caffeine in order to compete with my abusing classmates. Either that or work harder than they do, which may be impossible. After all, you are claiming it is impossible to work harder in athletics, or at least to work hard enough to overcome this chemical advantage. Clearly medical students would reach a point where "studying even harder but not supplementing with caffeine" could simply NEVER outperform "supplementing with caffeine."
Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you dont feel like it, I guess it doesnt happen. Feel free to ignore all the studies that show EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, that you do in fact have an advantage over your coworkers, as long as what you are doing requires concentration, attention and endurance.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: Official arguing about all things Barry Bonds thread

All I can say is I wish this thread was made years ago, cause any Bonds thread just turns into "HEY I AM SAYING EXACTLY WHAT IVE SAID 8 MILLION TIMES AND ASSUMING YOU GUYS WHO DIDN'T CARE BEFORE NOW CARE."

Its not like people are UNAWARE bonds did steroids, yet every bonds thread we still get a "HUHHURRR BONDS DID STEROIDS". We get it. Stop.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly medical students would reach a point where "studying even harder but not supplementing with caffeine" could simply NEVER outperform "supplementing with caffeine."

[/ QUOTE ]

The effect is negligible, if any.

I honestly don't believe you believe this crap. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing. You're too smart to believe that. Devil's advocate?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you dont feel like it, I guess it doesnt happen. Feel free to ignore all the studies that show EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, that you do in fact have an advantage over your coworkers, as long as what you are doing requires concentration, attention and endurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me the studies. Show me the percentage of improvement.