Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: The Answer

[ QUOTE ]
rubbish, by all insider accounts, bruce lee couldn't handle chuck norris in their primes even in lame karate/kung fu sparring,

[/ QUOTE ]

what insider accounts are you talking about?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i believe i've already covered this earlier in this thread, if not this one then the other one, but bruce lee would get schooled by even and average boxer in his weight class. if you don't understand this you do not understand the vast superiority boxing has over any traditional martial arts as a striking art. he never spent any large amount of time training with boxers/thai boxers/grapplers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The boxing stance is terrible for fighting against someone who knows what they are doing in a no rules fight. Bruce would use a groin kick, and the fight would be over almost instantly.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Snowball,

Don't disagree with Colm too much, he will stalk you in other threads and curse you, that being said I actually agree with you here about Bruce Lee vs boxer.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rubbish, by all insider accounts, bruce lee couldn't handle chuck norris in their primes even in lame karate/kung fu sparring, a 40 or 50 year old bjj black belt chuck norris would easily take down a prime bruce lee and choke him out. it is simply that easy to do against someone with no takedown defence. this is much easier to understand when you've actually felt it on the giving and receiving side. yes, even a 50 year old chuck norris would easily take out a prime bruce lee, and based only on chuck's bjj skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about if they weighed the same. Bruce Lee was a far more impressive athlete than Chuck Norris ever was and Lee was far faster to boot. Saying he had no defense against takedowns is laughable.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 PM

My latest post there is a glaring mistype which I can blame on being up at 7am, it's the formless art not the artless form.

Colm, reveal your inside sources, we're all listening.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rubbish, by all insider accounts, bruce lee couldn't handle chuck norris in their primes even in lame karate/kung fu sparring,

[/ QUOTE ]

Reference please, they never really went to it....
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 PM

Whoever is better at what he does.

This would probably be the best martial artist in the world, because few others actually practice technique to the same extent as anyone who truly masters their chosen art. Most Ultimate Fighting Champions are simply martial artists who've mixed different styles, so this isn't a distinct category, unless you're saying guys who have specifically been trained in non-lethal submission/knockout fighting, which is an inherent disadvantage. They probably don't practice certain effective strikes which are banned by the rules of their sport.

Boxers have an inherent disadvantage due to the limited nature of their style. Navy Seals "waste" a lot of time on target practice and swimming. This makes them very effective in combat within various contexts, but helps not one bit in a cage match.

I imagine streetfighters don't practice much, they just fight. Kind of like if you just played poker and never read a book. Maybe you can get by on talent, but someone with the same talent who actually studied should have an edge.

And most Asian martial arts are actually mixed arts to begin with, and anyone who goes far in the martial arts will be aware of and practice all forms of unarmed combat. So again, it's not that distinct from the UFC guy.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

An MMA champion would win most of the time, and anyone who argues otherwise doesn't know a thing about fighting. People who argue that Navy Seals would win because they "train to kill" are very misguided. An MMA champion is proficient at disabling someone from any position, on the ground and feet, and also knows how to defend himself from any position, and also knows how to fight after getting hit; a Navy Seal does not. An MMA practitioner can strike harder, faster, and more accurately than a Navy Seal. An MMA practitioner knows all sorts of blood chokes, wind chokes, neck cranks, arm locks, leg locks, ankle locks and heel hooks that a Navy Seal would not know how to defend against. An MMA champ can gouge and bite just as well as a Navy Seals guy can. A Navy Seal is not trained to kill someone who excels at fighting while an MMA champion is, nor can a Navy Seal take a hit as well as a MMA champion. An MMA champion trains harder and longer in unarmed combat.

In all likelyhood, an MMA practitioner against a Navy Seal would result in the Seal getting rear-naked choked to death within the first 10 minutes.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:47 AM

I still don't see how you can distinguish between the MMA champion and the traditional martial artist. Those two choices are almost redundant.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:59 AM

Traditional martial arts rarely deal with ground fighting and grappling. Those that do don't train in it as extensively as they do other areas.