Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: What\'d You Shoot Today? (Golf BBV Thread)

[ QUOTE ]
92 (don't remember the split at Bucks County Country Club in Jamison (I think), Pa. Started par-par and then had three straight triples before a birdie on 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that anyone reads this, but this should be three straight doubles, not triples.

-McGee
Old 08-20-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shot an 86 at Legend Trail on saturday. Slope is 127.

I had 15 putts on the front nine and 22 on the back, the greens on the back were in pretty terrible shape and I was putting over rough ground, and in one case sand/gravel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I played that course from time to time when it was managed by Troon Golf. Early last year I got a comp there because my stepfather was in town and he is friends with the guy who runs the John Jacobs Academy (which won the bid for and now manages the property). The only other course they manage that I know of is Painted Desert in Mesa, which is a total goat pasture.

It's a shame to hear it's not in good shape. Troon Golf is known for keeping their courses tip-top even in the most extreme weather but apparently these new guys do not. That's a really nice layout too, great back nine and I like the back-to-back par 5s down the stretch.

How much did you pay?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Yea the last time I played it, a few years ago, it was in good shape. It looks like they let it go a bit too much and it really went to [censored] in a few areas. There were big chucks of fairway on the back that were just sand/gravel and some that had been recently replaced.

The front wasn't that bad all considering, nicer than other courses I've played in recent weeks.

It was $39 from www.golfnow.com
Old 08-21-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea the last time I played it, a few years ago, it was in good shape. It looks like they let it go a bit too much and it really went to [censored] in a few areas. There were big chucks of fairway on the back that were just sand/gravel and some that had been recently replaced.

The front wasn't that bad all considering, nicer than other courses I've played in recent weeks.

It was $39 from www.golfnow.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, golfnow. A friend of mine was on the front end of that. First there was golf10.com and golf602.com. He got wise and started registering domains for other cities/area codes and now they're all golfnow.com I believe.

Anyway, and this is OT and will probably get buried in this thread anyway but it's probably not worthy of its own topic: does the quality and condition of a course impact the value of the homes on it? In Phoenix I can think of mediocre courses with really nice houses (Orange Tree, or the Biltmore, which I live on but not in a phat pad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and nice courses with mediocre homes on it (Las Sendas, some others that I spaced out the second I started this post). Just curious.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM

played a 9 hole executive par-30...shot 40

meh
Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 PM

40. Missed a couple of very makable putts after good chips, but walked away feeling pretty satisfied.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
40. Missed a couple of very makable putts after good chips, but walked away feeling pretty satisfied.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea...had several greens in reg...birdie putt turns into 3-putt bogeys.

also cant chip 4 [censored], practicing that 2morrow
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM

bonds,

This isn't dissing your round at all (and I'm not sure why I keep trying to post in this thread full of parallel conversations but whatever), but don't you agree that there's a huge mental difference between 39 and 40? Or 79 and 80? Or I suppose for the higher handicapped folks 99 and 100? Just the number it starts with is huge, like a 79 shares a "7" with 70 so it's like they're closer together than the 79 is to the 80.

I know growing up I always felt pretty decent about a 39 during golf matches, but a 40 made me sad.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 AM

Hell ya. When I shoot 39, I'm like meh. But when I shoot 40 I think I played like dogpoop.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 AM

Played my local course today, but w/o my driver. I had my 3 hybrid, then 5 iron through 9, PW and putter.

Had 4 putts on the first hole, ugly, and then I took mulligans on back to back holes (4, 5) off the tee. (So the whole score is tainted). But I was able to hit my 5 iron decently straight off the tee, or the 3 hybrid on the longer holes, and played some nice iron shots. It felt good to use only irons, this course only has one hole >500, and the other par 5's are dogleggy so it is not a big deal to just use an iron off the tee.

Shot 93 with a double asterisk, woulda been my best score at this location. I putted well, only 3 holes w/ > 2 putts....1, 2, and 18.