Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

LOL at the sustainability post. To think that the average yuppie (myself included) gives a damn about whether Starbucks is sustainable. I just want their good strong coffee to go.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 AM

so twice now i've asked for the dulce de leche frappacino (now that i know how to pronounce it, thanks daryn!) and twice i've been told they don't have one. yet it's clearly on the menu in the frappacino section. what gives?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

Thanks for answers the questions. Sustainability, "is a characteristic of a process or state that can be maintained at a certain level indefinitely. For planet earth, it is thus the intent to provide the best outcomes for the human and natural environments both now and into the indefinite future. One of the most often-cited definitions of sustainability is the one created by the Brundtland Commission, led by the former Norwegian Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland. The Commission defined sustainable development as development that "meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."[1] Sustainability relates to the continuity of economic, social, institutional and environmental aspects of human society, as well as the non-human environment.[2] Sustainability is one of the four Core Concepts behind the 2007 Universal Forum of Cultures (wiki)."

Rather than selling ceramic mugs, my suggestion is for Starbucks to sell coffee in mugs and clean them after their customers have left. That's wishful thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, that sustainability stuff gives me tired head.

We do sell coffee in mugs. Ask for the drink "for here." We'll give it to you in a ceramic mug. Then, leave. We'll take that mug, wash it, and use it again.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so twice now i've asked for the dulce de leche frappacino (now that i know how to pronounce it, thanks daryn!) and twice i've been told they don't have one. yet it's clearly on the menu in the frappacino section. what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

There has been some shortage of the syrup, and I don't believe it's going to be around much longer anyway.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...oothies03.html

http://consumerist.com/consumer/infinite...cess-285330.php

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny, because these articles sorta contradict each other. On the one hand, I'd be happy if we started having fresh fruit smoothies, because I really like them. However, I'd been hearing rumblings that Starbucks is going for simplification, trying to get back to the core of our business, selling coffee. Adding smoothies to the menu is kinda the opposite of that.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There has been some shortage of the syrup, and I don't believe it's going to be around much longer anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would make me sad. The only thing I've gotten there is the dulce de leche frap. I might just have to go with regular caramel then.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:12 PM

ElD,

Bang a hot barista yet? TR plz.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM

CB,

What percentage of people actually request a ceramic mug and drink the coffee from it in store?

I do this for espresso and I always wonder how odd it is and the best way to do it. Can I just say "for here" and have that interpreted as not wantig it in the paper cup?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

What percentage of people actually request a ceramic mug and drink the coffee from it in store?

I do this for espresso and I always wonder how odd it is and the best way to do it. Can I just say "for here" and have that interpreted as not wantig it in the paper cup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 1%. I'd say that of those who ask, it is for a solo/doppio espresso 90% of the time. Saying "for here" should be sufficient. If they look confused, "in a ceramic mug" should work. My old store didn't have Venti sized ceramic mugs for a while, but finally got them, fwiw. Every store should have every size covered for hot drinks. Cold drinks are a different matter, though I have worked at a store that had Venti sized cold glasses.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 PM

Is starbucks really a clever front for Dr.Evil's plan to take over the world?