Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Official Toronto Raptors 2007 Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately on Raptors TV Colangelo said that they will bring back Smitch next year, but you never know with BC. I would be a very happy man if Mitchell isn't retained.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sucks. When did he say this?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately on Raptors TV Colangelo said that they will bring back Smitch next year, but you never know with BC. I would be a very happy man if Mitchell isn't retained.

[/ QUOTE ]
This sucks. When did he say this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Colangelo was on the podium today addressing how much and how long Mitchell would be signed for. Broadcasted on Raptors TV.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 AM

I don't know, with another couple of pieces the Raps might not be worse off keeping him.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:11 AM

Sam has definitely made strides as a coach, but there are better options out there and BC can get it done. It took 4 games in the playoffs for Mitchell to make adjustments to NJ. Plus he doesn't have a set rotation; some times you will see Luke Jackson playing, Rasho playing here and there - there is just no stability. Whatever Colangelo does, I will have faith in.

But regarding what you said, some more changes have to be made in Raptorland. Unlikely, but I would love to have Andres Nocioni on our team (restricted FA). Although I would love to have him back, Mo Pete will likely be gone, and I hope Dixon and Graham are out too. I will probably get heat for saying this, but it might be in the Raps best interest to trade one of Ford or Calderon, simply because Calderon will be in heavy demand when his contract is up. Paying Bosh and TJ the max, and an upcoming Bargnani max deal means that we can't pay guys like Calderon the money he deserves. Teams will shell out money for Jose, because he is a legit NBA starter and a player like him should not be sitting on the bench.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam has definitely made strides as a coach, but there are better options out there and BC can get it done. It took 4 games in the playoffs for Mitchell to make adjustments to NJ. Plus he doesn't have a set rotation; some times you will see Luke Jackson playing, Rasho playing here and there - there is just no stability. Whatever Colangelo does, I will have faith in.

But regarding what you said, some more changes have to be made in Raptorland. Unlikely, but I would love to have Andres Nocioni on our team (restricted FA). Although I would love to have him back, Mo Pete will likely be gone, and I hope Dixon and Graham are out too. I will probably get heat for saying this, but it might be in the Raps best interest to trade one of Ford or Calderon, simply because Calderon will be in heavy demand when his contract is up. Paying Bosh and TJ the max, and an upcoming Bargnani max deal means that we can't pay guys like Calderon the money he deserves. Teams will shell out money for Jose, because he is a legit NBA starter and a player like him should not be sitting on the bench.

[/ QUOTE ]

Degen,
a few points. 1st, no way TJ gets offered a max deal from either the raptors or ANY team. he's the type of PG that is offered a 5 year 38 mil type contract. (Edit: I wrote that before I checked otu their salary situation, and he's signed through 2009/2010 season at 8mil a season, so go me, he got just the type of deal id expect for him, yay!) 2nd, it's highly unlikely the raps will land nocioni. he is awesome, but he is restricted, which means unless a team throws a redic sum of money at him (charlotte?) not too many have the potential to do so - he will be a bull again. 3rd, I agree, Dixon sucks, he scores so much because he shoots at a highly inefficient rate. Graham sucks, too, atleast from what i saw in the playoffs. However, they're stuck with dixon for another year at 3mil and graham for another year, although at 1.6mil, so neither is eating away too much cap space. for raptors cap
they'll prolly lose mopete, though, he played well enough to warrant some offseason interest in a solid SF veteran. He'll look for anyone offering MORE then the mid level exemption, and he might find a team (I'm struggling to think of one at the moment now though! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
calderon is signed for one more year cheaply; since TJ is locked up for a while I really think they'll try to move calderon in the offseason. lakers, perhaps?
4th, Bosh DOES have the max deal, and he's locked up for a while, so dont worry, your franchise guy will be around for a while.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The NJ series was brutal to watch if you're a Raps fan. The coaching was a complete mess for all the reasons above. The last 30 secs on game 6 was really telling. We were up by one and couldn't close out the game despite several chances. We clearly got outcoached in this series.

We're all feeding into the notion that Toronto sports fans are the nittiest in the world. Demanding the Coach of the Year to be fired LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] , but I don't care Sam definately does not have it. I was a little surprised when Colagangelo wanted to resign him as I was positive that he just wanted Sam to close out the year and find a replacement. Maybe he's around Sam and the team everyday and he's seeing some intangibles that we're not seeing, either way I'd like to see Sam go.

Calderon is a legit NBA starter and it would be silly for him to stay in Toronto. It's not realistic to expect Calderon to be here for too long.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Bobbo -
You're right about Ford's deal, but it was reported that the contract could go up to $10-11M if he reaches incentives.

As far as Calderon is concerned, he shouldn't stay, but luckily we have Garbo, one of his best friends, and European players have more of a sense of team loyalty than Americans.

I know that Nocioni is a long shot but how great would he be on the Raps? He can't log heavy minutes in Chicago. Deng is an absolute monster and should play 38+. PF isn't really suited to him and Tyrus Thomas is going to be a stud. He has a lot of value, so he will probably stay a Bull but it wouldn't surprise me if he left. He's a quicker, more athletic version of Garbo which fits great with the team. One other guy I like for the Raps is Walter Hermann. You might think I have some fascination with Europeans, I just think that these are realistically the players who can help us the best. Obviously I would love to have Rashard Lewis because he fits the team so well, but I would not be prepared to throw $12M at a chronically injured, aging star. If we want to go cheap in trying to solve the SF position, then I would want to take a look at Matt Barnes.

Colangelo was on the Fan 590 at the trade deadline and when asked why he didn't trade for someone, he said "we will sign them in the offseason". I wonder who that is. Darko? Pietrus?