Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcal

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the punishment is way too strong and the OTHER TEAMS THAT ALSO DO IT SHOULD BE PUNISHED.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have the other teams been caught?
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

all this is coming from a jets fan who's coach couldn't handle an ass kicking so he ratted out the pats for something that had no impact on the victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. So Mangini comes off worse than BB in this? Right.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:48 PM

Why must so many people turn into flaming douches when sports are involved?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:16 PM

i just want to reiterate that just because this is a widespread practice and just because the NY media is jumping all over the patriots out of jealousy and opportunism doesn't mean they don't deserve the penalty. the pats got caught and they took the fall. the deserve it. will i hate mangini more because of his actions? of course, but i think the pats could have seen it coming and wised up.

i have no issue with the fine, the draft pick, etc. that's the way it goes. the league is a business and they are covering their asses here. what i am sick of is the media getting on their high horse and scapegoating the pats when they know damn well that this is a widespread issue, and the pats haters in this thread and elsewhere acting like this gave the pats a major edge and this 'changes everything' and all that. it doesn't.

the pats got caught and took the fall for everyone. that's fine, it happens, we can deal with it. i just don't want to listen to whiny jets fans or chargers fans or anyone else who wants to trot this out as an excuse for all the times we whipped your asses - past, present, future.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love that the "everybody's doing it LDO" argument carries so much weight re: the Pats but is much less respected re: Bonds. Weird double standard, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
actually that argument isn't carrying any weight here.

but if you are saying "everyone does it" than you are correct.

There is now talk that the pats had removed a jets cameraman last year and the jets did it this year to get them back.

Should be interested if the media chooses to follow it, which they probably won't since mangina gives decent interviews

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of saying everyone does it? The answer to this question, no matter what it is (unless it is "There is no point I just say random irrelevant things") is the weight that I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
well the fact that everyone does it means that they should all be punished accordingly, not just the patriots.

i thought that was pretty obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if caught they will be, but I have no idea what that has to do with the Patriots. So again, I will ask, in a thread about the Patriots cheating, why do people keep saying everyone does it? Its either completely irrelevant, or it is meant to shift some of the blame or in some way make it seem "not as bad." If its the latter, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT RE: BONDS. If its the former, there are a lot of random association folks in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

vhawk..its mainly a defensive reaction by Pats fans in party due to the overkill of hate.

BB is much like bonds in that most journalists/reporters [censored] hate him. Thus when given a chance to tear him down and make him look bad they go overboard.

Did the Pats cheat: Yes
Did they get caught: Yes
Did they get punished: Yes

Are all the players and teams acting like "OMG how could they do that...thats so wrong" completly full of [censored]?
YES.

Most teams break rules. I'd bet even that Saint Tony Dungy has done it sometime in his career.

In the past the league did not crack down on this...maybe cuz Tags was a pussy or they just didn't care.

Godell decided to lay the hammer down and the Pats disregarded the shot across the bow he sent out to all teams.
Thus they got the hammer.

Pats fans/supporters are simply sick of people on teams like the eagles, Steelers, dolphins, etc talking [censored] when most coaches and players know that those same teams have skirted those same rules.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:37 PM

All these tales of cheating are pretty awesome in my view. I thought it was very cool of Jimmy Johnson to man up and admit he did they exact same thing as Bill B.

• With the Patriots being nabbed for videotaping defensive signals, there are going to be all kinds of stories about cheating around the league. It's a good thing the commissioner doesn't have the right to retroactively fine teams. Back in the mid-'90s, one AFC team regularly put headsets inside the helmets of its offensive linemen so they could pick up the cadence of their quarterback in loud stadiums.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love that the "everybody's doing it LDO" argument carries so much weight re: the Pats but is much less respected re: Bonds. Weird double standard, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is now talk that the pats had removed a jets cameraman last year and the jets did it this year to get them back.

Should be interested if the media chooses to follow it, which they probably won't since mangina gives decent interviews

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point of saying everyone does it? The answer to this question, no matter what it is (unless it is "There is no point I just say random irrelevant things") is the weight that I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
well the fact that everyone does it means that they should all be punished accordingly, not just the patriots.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if caught they will be, but I have no idea what that has to do with the Patriots. So again, I will ask, in a thread about the Patriots cheating, why do people keep saying everyone does it? Its either completely irrelevant, or it is meant to shift some of the blame or in some way make it seem "not as bad." If its the latter, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT RE: BONDS. If its the former, there are a lot of random association folks in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

vhawk..its mainly a defensive reaction by Pats fans in party due to the overkill of hate.

BB is much like bonds in that most journalists/reporters [censored] hate him. Thus when given a chance to tear him down and make him look bad they go overboard.

Are all the players and teams acting like "OMG how could they do that...thats so wrong" completly full of [censored]?
YES.

Most teams break rules. I'd bet even that Saint Tony Dungy has done it sometime in his career.

In the past the league did not crack down on this...maybe cuz Tags was a pussy or they just didn't care.

Godell decided to lay the hammer down and the Pats disregarded the shot across the bow he sent out to all teams.

Pats fans/supporters are simply sick of people on teams like the eagles, Steelers, dolphins, etc talking [censored] when most coaches and players know that those same teams have skirted those same rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
I even agree with the Pats fans. Most of this reaction is ridiculous. I just think there are a ton of parallels to the Bonds situation, in that he gets so much grief because he was ALREADY hated, plus he is the best, thus the focus. My general point is, anyone who says "ZOMG everyone is doing it" should be saying exactly the same thing re: Bonds.

And hey, maybe they are.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YES.

[/ QUOTE ]
I even agree with the Pats fans. Most of this reaction is ridiculous. I just think there are a ton of parallels to the Bonds situation, in that he gets so much grief because he was ALREADY hated, plus he is the best, thus the focus. My general point is, anyone who says "ZOMG everyone is doing it" should be saying exactly the same thing re: Bonds.

And hey, maybe they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

99% of the arguments against Bonds are clouded by people's dislike for him. So there is very little substance to the debate about Bonds and steroids.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM

people need to learn how to use the quote function

a lot of what people say about belichick is clouded by their hatred for him too. this incident outs him as either a: a moron or b: incredibly arrogant.

i just don't get the disconnect between 'it doesn't give anyone much of an edge' and Belichick's decision to do it last Sunday.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:53 PM

oh and as a pats fan who doesn't care that much about spygate, i also have repeatedly said in the past that i don't care about all the bonds hate or the steroid controversy, and my disgust is generally aimed in the same direction (the media).